• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TPN+ + KNO3?

I'm using TPN+ at the moment for my 40 litre tank. I'm dosing 5 mls a day with 5 mls of excel and Co2 drop checker showing yellowy green in multiple different places (including just above the HC).

I've managed to cut the algae back alot since I started this regime and I will tail back on the Excel in the next few days. However, I keep getting lots of BGA and other signs that is suggestive of nitrate deficiency. I've got Tetra tec 1200 and on top of that a pump running at 400L/hour in this tank so theoretically Flow shouldn't be a problem (My fish and shrimp are finding it difficult to cope at the moment with the turbulence in the tank).

My tap water nitrate level is 0-5ppm according to the water supplier. Is it possible that the component of Nitrate in TPN+ is too low for my water? Can I add dry salt KNO3 to TPN+ to make up for it? Would be gutted if there is a chemical reaction that went on and rendered the fert useless... So would be appreciate it if there is any chemist out there that could shed some light on this. Thanks

Hi daniel19831123
Well I am no chemist but TPN+ should be enough for your tank on it's own.
Have you thought of upping the dose of TPN+?
If you added KN03 it would not render your TPN+ useless. It would just up your nitrate (and potassium) levels but you can do that by upping the dose of TPN+, so why bother with the KNO3?
Let's keep life simple eh ;)

Well I did start off with 2mls TPN+ daily but It's been 2 weeks and the growth hasn't resume. I've upped everything else from CO2, flow and light and still see no changes so I'm assuming that the fert is the one that's limiting it. Hence I've upped it to 5mls daily. Surely this must be plenty on a 10 gallon tank? I'm adding KNO3 salt into the tank directly now. But if I can put everything in one bottle, it's just so much easier and I can get my housemate to fertilise the tank for me while I'm on holiday.

Hi daniel 19831123
One thing I've learnt with this planted tank business is that patience is key.
After I make any adjustments to anything, I would normally recommend that you do not adjust anything else for at least 3-4 weeks to see if that adjustment has any effect. If you do not give the plants a chance to respond to your changes and you've been changing things weekly, then when you finally see a change, you will think it was the last change you made, whereas it could have been any of the changes or combinations of changes that you made in the previous 3-4 weeks.
Make one adjustment at a time and sit back and admire your tank while you're waiting :D.
The wait can be frustrating, I know, but it's worth it in the end.

Will definitely sit tight. The BGA has definitely slow down it's growth since I've upped the TPN+ to 5mls daily. It used to grow at such a rate that under my 24W it will cover nearly 1/3 of the substrate in 1 week. It's now under 48w and it's only covering a few leaves on the HC and hair grass after 1 week.

I'll probably keep up with the water change to once every 2 days as well. If everything is going as plan, I'll definitely post a pic up. Can't wait for the staurogyne, downoi and HC to cover the tank!

Back