TPN short.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Fert Dosing' started by Nick16, 15 Nov 2008.

1. Nick16

Nick16 Member

a little while ago, i read in a post that TPN was short of an ingrediaent. but i cannot remember what it was. im sure it began with p and the second word may have also began with p. (postassium and/or phospate?)

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

TPN is basically trace only, so doesn't have NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium). TPN+ has trace and NPK so is an "all in one" fert.

3. scottturnbull

scottturnbull Member

I think TPN does contain Potassium (K), just not very much.

This is probably the thread you are referring to.

4. Nick16

Nick16 Member

so i really need to get TPN+

5. Nick16

Nick16 Member

on the AE website there is postassium carbonate, potassium nitrate, and potassium sulpahte. which do i need? is there not an all in one? how much should i dose and can it be mixed up in tap water?

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

You're looking at dry salts which are used when following the Estimative Index method of fertilising. Take a look in the Fertiliser section (Not dry powders) for all-in-one mixes such as Tropica Plant Nutrition+

7. scottturnbull

scottturnbull Member

It's difficult to answer. How densely are you stocking plants and fish? TPN is probably okay if you have plenty of fish and a fair amount of plants. TPN+ is better if you have little or no fish and lots of plants.

For dry fertilisers, see the sticky at the top of this section, titled 'EI daily methods or PMDD + PO4'.

8. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

9. Nick16

Nick16 Member

thanks, i think i am sorted, just need to invest in the lights and co2 and we are ready to begin!