• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Traces in tap water

Hi all, will my fluid sensor traces breakdown in my hard ph7.2 tap water? I'm guessing so with the Chelator they use? Sorry if grammar is poor, on the iPod.

Cheers, Jack

Fluidsensor's traces along with many others are EDTA based. It is often found the Fe-EDTA bond is weaker when in hard water. The only problem is with the iron as free iron rapidly reacts forming insoluble ferric precipitates that are out of the reach of plants. If you dose daily you should be ok. It is quite easy to tell if the Fe-EDTA is breaking as after dosing the water soon becomes slightly hazy. If you are concerned about it you could always switch to a different trace that either uses Fe-DTPA or even better Fe-HEEDTA.

James

could I possibly use DI water to mix up the solution to prolong its life? to prevent the chelator braking down and forming the precipitate?

It's not when it's in the bottle that it's the problem but when you add it to the tank. With regards to the solution in the bottle the easiest way to prolong its life span is to add some acid like hydrochloric acid or ascorbic acid.

James

Back