• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

transfering aquatic plants from a local pond

hi all,
thanks for the feedback. I think Ill will see how the plants grow in the pond through the coming months before considering transferring any into my tanks.
Below is a picture of the pond plant I originally intended to share for identification. I am pretty sure this one is a true aquatic plant. It has very slender stems and grow in 'clumps' in the deeper areas ( 1-2 mtrs).

Attachments

• IMG_20230131_113750.jpg
    IMG_20230131_113750.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61
Water starworts are very plastic and change shape both leaf length and stem length between pairs of leaves depending on water depth and it is not uncommon to find stems which various inter leaf stem lengths caused by changes in water levels.
Nice plants typically driven by the quest to form rosettes of leaves with their upper surface exposed to the atmosphere and lots of CO2.
Leaf tips are notched.

morning folks,
Thanks for the ID. I'm really not sure if it is a good idea to introduce into my tanks, given the comment about carrying larvae what will affect small fish!
Maybe I should try a captive UK native setup in the future

Hi all,
I'm really not sure if it is a good idea to introduce into my tanks, given the comment about carrying larvae what will affect small fish!
I wouldn't worry too much about transferring unwanted organisms, but I don't think any Callitriche spp. <"are really suitable"> for <"tropical aquarium temperatures">. One problem is that the stems want to become emersed as rapidly as possible.

cheers Darrel

hi, Perhaps it would fair better in my room temperature tank, although that is about 17c. fortunately the pond is only about 5 mins from the house.
thanks for your advice Darrel.

H all,
Perhaps it would fair better in my room temperature tank
Give it a go and see what happens. Every time I see Callitriche "stagnalis" I'm really tempted to get a couple of stems.
fortunately the pond is only about 5 mins from the house.
Are there any mosses, growing in the pond edge? You may have more joy with them.

cheers Darrel

Are there any mosses, growing in the pond edge? You may have more joy with them.
hi, I must admit to not really noticing. I'll take a closer look this morning. The pond was effectively empty last summer so i suspect there is a 'blurring' of aquatic v terrestrial plants now the water level is back up (and based on above comments).

hi all,
There is lots of moss in the margins as well as fully submerged. I'm beginning to think it would be possible to have a tank using local native plants.
Now I wonder if my misses would notice if I start a new project:):)

Back