• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transitioning Phase... (Unknown Weeks) Transitioning into a Journal

Does the ultramax incorporate the heater like oase biomaster?

Nope, I have gone for a external hydor - which has worked well so far. The trade off of a silent powerful filter seemed worth it.

TBH I really don't know what the hype is about Oase Biomaster or why it seems to be seen as the 'gold standard'.

I think there is a spreadsheet that was shared on the forum about the different filters and their capabilities which may be helpful. I will take a look later, however, if anyone reading this has it to hand....

Nope, I have gone for a external hydor - which has worked well so far. The trade off of a silent powerful filter seemed worth it.

TBH I really don't know what the hype is about Oase Biomaster or why it seems to be seen as the 'gold standard'.

I think there is a spreadsheet that was shared on the forum about the different filters and their capabilities which may be helpful. I will take a look later, however, if anyone reading this has it to hand....

For the aquascaper 600, would you recommend the ultramax 1000 or 1500?

The Aquael filter that broke straight a way upon delivery.

just putting it out there.........! :lol:

Mine broke after just under a year. Replaced by Aquael free of charge...sent by courier. Bit of a faff sorting it because it originally came from a Polish online site - hence my comment about buying from your LFS. The second from Charterhouse is running fine.

I couldn't find the spreadsheet on comparative performance but this thread sums up some if the pros and cons:
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/filter-for-120p-poll.56778/#post-553097

One of the nice things about them is that you can reduce the flow. I would go for a larger capacity filter and just reduce the flow to a comfortable level.

Last edited:
larger capacity filter and just reduce the flow to a comfortable level.

That is exactly what I feel you need too. Maximum capacity and adjustable flow. @Onoma1 has given some really good advice.
Specs for the Ultramax 1500 are:
Container capacity [L] 1.9
number of containers [pcs] 4
So basically you get 7.6 litres, although the bucket is stated a bit larger (13.5lt), it includes powerhead and voids.
It's a bit smaller than the Jebao 404 but looks very tempting.

Thank you, I'll have a look through that forum link. The ultramax does look good. Are there any heaters which are good and transparent that can be used within the tank? I'm not sure if I'd go for an inline heater. The reviews aren't great for most of them.

I'll check tonight as it's supposed to be - 1°C tonight in London. We don't usually get nights colder than that. I'll report back in the morning.

Without a heater, the water temperature is 12°c. Any recommendations?

Choose a filter based on reliability, flow volume and noise not filter media capacity. Most planted tanks are quite happy running with over half empty trays... recommendations for anything that are based on how quickly they fix a problem says a lot about the quality of the product in the first place.

Oase is a good choice including a heater.
JBL cristalprofi are bullet proof and almost silent.
External heaters are 50/50... I've had several hydors, most have lasted over 5 years without issue... however many people come home and find cooked tanks. Definitely dont buy anything but hydor externals, the reliability is even worse.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Personally iwouldgofor the oase I have a JBL too I find the in line heater a PITA when it comes to learning it and with tubing

I have an oase biomaster 600 and recommend it highly. It's pretty much silent, obviously theres a slight hum but thats to be expected. It's a lot quieter than my fluval 306 without any weird noises. My tank sits in my office so i'm always next to it, and so far it's been running perfectly, i'm really happy with it. The flow is strong using a lily pipe.

I'm using the course prefilter sponges and have also drilled extra holes in the prefilter pipe. I have a blue sponge in the bottom tray and then an empty tray going to be used for old media to help seed the filter, then the next two trays are 1/2 - 3/4 full of seachem matrix, next tray is purigen and carbon and the top tray is the orange fine filter foam pad. I've been cleaning the prefilter weekly, literally takes 3 mins which is amazing! The build quality is also very good, it feels solid, the handle is heavy duty and the filter is actually very heavy when filled up.

Personally iwouldgofor the oase I have a JBL too I find the in line heater a PITA when it comes to learning it and with tubing
What...Clean it?? reckon that the reason they cook tanks...!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The Oase Biomaster 600/350 (depending on budget) goes back to the top of the list. My Twinstar 600SA arrived today. I will set it up tonight. The manzanita piece arrive with a gift. Any chance that I can get this to grow? It looks very dry.

Attachments

• 15810918367337120907025478427478.jpg
    15810918367337120907025478427478.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 111
Has anyone had the problem of the Twinstar 600SA not fitting onto the aquascaper 600. It seems a little too large. The clips are very tight and has marked the top edge of the glass as it tried to get it to fit. .

I've added pictures for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20200207_191041.jpg
    IMG_20200207_191041.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20200207_191026.jpg
    IMG_20200207_191026.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
Try to remove as much of that little ‘gift’ on your manzanita as you can before you add it to your tank. As siege said it goes brown and falls off. I didn’t remove it from mine, and it turned really sludgy and is a bit of a pita to get out without it breaking up and getting everywhere.

Back