• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transparent Tank - the end

Re: Transparent Tank - puffers

Well done with cutting the beak. I am not sure I would have skill or nerve to do that. I have enough trouble with trimming the Guinea pigs claws.

Andy

Good to see it healthy, beautiful looking fish. Might be tempted when my dwarfs Kark it! Well done on the trim too

Hey you will be signing up for Vet camp next ;) Bravo that man! And fish looks nice and happy post surgery :thumbup: To be honest 70L is perfectly adequate for those wee puffers... They will be plenty happy in there. ESPECIALLY with that new beast you bought. Eheim Rock :clap:

mikeappleby said:
sarahtermite said:
Can we have another picture of a happy, recovered puffer? I don't like to see the poor wee thing floating belly up like that. :(

2012-09-06%20at%2018-25-18.jpg

:D Much happier now - both me and the fish. I do admire your bravery in sorting out his beak - a job well done! :clap:

Hi just wanted to ask if your south american puffer left your shrimp alone? Thinking of moving my murderous dwarfs into the wee tank and looking for something for the bigger tank that won't trim the amanos antenna or eat CRS.

mikeappleby said:
Mmm.. I moved them all out. Can pop one in and see what happens if you like.

Have just had a closer inspection and found a pregnant cherry and a baby cherry hiding in the thick mass of stems. So they've survived about a month.

Puff doesn't seem that hungry: he ignores any bloodworm or muscles, and I can't really tell if he goes for the snails I transfer over from other tank. Haven't seen him eat anything yet but he's still alive and there are the odd empty snail shell, so maybe he just does it at night.

My dwarf puffers left my shrimp alone.

Blackout

Am fed up of algae in this tank. All got a bit out of control when I played around with the CO2 injection and was too much for the 8 ottos in there to keep on top. BBA on the rocks, hair in the HC and stauro, nasty. Seeing as my other tank is going so well, need to try and replicate that form in this one - but needs a bit of a fresh start.

2012-09-16%20at%2021-21-04.jpg

2012-09-16%20at%2021-20-53.jpg

2012-09-16%20at%2021-19-58.jpg

So am going to try my first ever blackout. Here's the cardboard going on the back.

2012-09-16%20at%2021-18-29.jpg

So have just done a big water change, thrown a load of snails in to keep puff fed (hopefully) for five days (can he sniff them out in the dark?), vacuumed the substrate, blacked out the tank and switched the lights off until next Tuesday.

2012-09-16%20at%2021-27-04.jpg

Just hoping puff is alive when I decloak!

2012-09-16%20at%2021-21-30.jpg

Have never done a blackout before. What do I do about lighting when it's all over? Assume not back to full strength right away...

Fingers crossed... :shifty:

Westyggx said:
You turned the co2 off as well right Mike? Also, a blackout wont kill BBA.

Yup CO2 off. BBA - doh! That's pretty much all I have in there, the other algae is just tiny spots really.

Feel some serious easycarbo nuking coming on after the blackout then. Is there anything else I can do? Get an electric toothbrush...

Algae wipeout

So this turned into a full on disaster.

The blackout didn't really work that well. Didn't make much difference to the algae - got rid of the diatoms but that was never really the issue.

2012-09-24%20at%2019-05-35.jpg

And it basically killed all the HC, most of the myriophyllum, and all the stauro.

2012-09-24%20at%2019-05-28.jpg

Then I think I may have overfed puff, and skipped a water change or two. Utter disaster.

2012-09-09%20at%2021-05-16.jpg

2012-09-09%20at%2021-05-11.jpg

2012-09-09%20at%2021-05-06.jpg

Have never had it that bad. So yesterday bit the bullet, did a big cleanup (hoiking out disgusting algae, two 80% water changes, planting in some new stems from the big tank, and removing some hardscape).

So here it is after all that:

2012-10-11%20at%2018-20-58.jpg

2012-10-11%20at%2018-21-13.jpg

Overall, think had too much hardscape in here too, so have removed two stones and will probably make the long flat piece smaller, going for an overall more planted look. Have learned a lot from my big tank.

Am not really here for the next month, so plan is to leave this under minimal attention, then when I've got some more time, plant it up really thickly from the big tank, with just limnophila near the intakes, rotala through the central section and then stauro towards the other end, and sculpt it with pruning.

Lesson 1: keep things stable if you possibly can
Lesson 2: plant heavily from the outset
Lesson 3: if you blackout, be very cautious about turning the lights back on and feeding
Lesson 4: less hardscape (for me) is more, particularly in such a thin, long tank

Funny how much easier the big tank is than this one. But feel I'm ready now to sort this one out with the wisdom of my failure.

Hope that's useful for people! Yuk.

So this tank has suffered a bit from neglect. Am starting to understand why people don't keep puffers in a planted tank: they're very messy eaters which makes keeping stable water parameters a nightmare, so I keep getting algae. Also you can't have any shrimp as they eat them, so the substrate is pretty untouched and stuff settles on it.

Still, onwards and upwards. Just re-read the post in my signature about 'everything I've learned' and frankly, that's still about all I know!

Would Corys be ok with puffers ? Just thinking they could be useful for the substrate issue. Also, how about using playsand as mess tends to settle on it and is easily syphoned out. You can always add fert tabs if you feel thats necessary. Just an idea :)

Hi all,
The algae on the rocks looks really good, I'd be chuffed with that
Same here. I'm not a great fan of black-outs, it is back to treating the symptom. Having said that I have BBS in all the tanks that don't have Red Ramshorns, which aren't an option for this one.
Am starting to understand why people don't keep puffers in a planted tank: they're very messy eaters which makes keeping stable water parameters a nightmare, so I keep getting algae.
A much higher plant mass is the answer to stability, and stability is the key to long term tank maintenance. That is why I like floaters, they are easy to thin and show a pretty quick response to nutrients, because they aren't CO2 limited.
That would also allow you to turn off the CO2, and low-tech gives you one less parameter to juggle.
Also, how about using play-sand as mess tends to settle on it and is easily syphoned out
That's what I do. Will the puffer eat even MTS? if they are too crunchy for him they help with substrate cleaning.

cheers Darrel

I have used 3-day black-outs with great success to get rid of a persistent problem with BGA. No other plants suffered. Actually, they all grew while covered.

IME, a black-out has little to no effect for algae other than BGA and maybe diatoms.

GM

Back