• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transplanted Blyxa melting

Tony Swinney

Hi

I got some Blyxa in the post yesterday, and planted it in the tank last night. Its melting away at a heck of a rate right now ! A few leaves were damaged in transit so I expected them go go, but it seems the whole lot will be gone in a couple of days.

Is this likely to be trauma, or nutrient deficiency, or CO2 deficiency ?

The tank has TPN+ dosing, pressurised CO2 (green DC) is 29Ëšc, pH6 (though it dipped a little lower than this this morning). Substrate is silver xand, with Flora root tabs.

When transplanting Blyxa should you trim the leaves back, or just put the plants in 'whole' ?

Thanks for any advice.

Tony

I have very little experience, having got my first blyxa only a few weeks ago. But when I first put it in my tanks, it melted a small amount, though not the large amount you are experiencing. Now, though, it's started growing back even stronger than before.

Do you have enough light over it? You don't say what lighting you have.

I'm growing mine in two tanks, one with Aquasoil, one with sand and root tabs, and they're both doing fine. Infact, the one in the sand is actually doing slightly better than the one in the aquasoil which is strange. So I think you can rule out substrate.

i had some blyxa in the post,, it did melt but came back real quick. unless the stem is completely void of leaves i think it will recover

your tanks is 29 degrees? thats a little warm isnt it? 23-24 is ok i find and for moss even lower.

Thanks for the replies guys. Lighting is:

1 x Arcadia T5 54w marine white - 9.30am > 5.30pm
1 x Arcadia T5 54w plant pro - 9.30am > 5.30pm
2 x Interpet TriPlus 55w compacts - 10.30am > 4.30pm

which I think is enough (?). My auto-waterchange system might be draining the ferts to quick, which may be a problem.

your tanks is 29 degrees?

Its that warm for the discus Mark. I might lower it a tad to 27 though - wont do them any harm.

I'll keep clearing out the leaves that melt away, and hopefully there'll be some nice new growth to follow.

Tony

Haha, Ceg's right. I find the best way with blyxa is to strip over all the lower leaves for about 2 inches, makes sure there's some roots, plant in and tweak your flow so it's getting a real good sway after a month or so it's pretty safe to say they'll be more than stable.

Back