• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transplanting established crypts

AndyOx

Hiya, I'm stripping my tank down and was wondering if I should trim the root system before replanting? If I trim, do I trim just the soft fine feeding type roots or even the thicker ones too? What about runners? I usually leave them on and they pop up roughly where you'd like (cheating i know!!) Previously when I've trimmed the root system the plants have suffered a far greater check on growth, but then I've been learning a lot this last 18 months!

Andy

When transplanting crypts I always cut the roots about 2" from the rhizome and they have always seemed to recover quicker from the transplanting and produce new leaves faster than those which have not been pruned.

jonnyjr said:
When transplanting crypts I always cut the roots about 2" from the rhizome and they have always seemed to recover quicker from the transplanting and produce new leaves faster than those which have not been pruned.

I do the same as the above but even shorter 1" and any side growth of new shoot I pull off or divide the plant up into several plants.

Have a watch of the attached http://www.tropica.com/go.asp?article=883.

Regards
paul.

Back