• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tree ID

Sarpijk

Hi guys, could someone tell me what is the name of this tree?
4ab0d4820606f18d4827f4a9cebc05f8.jpg

Thanks Darrel. My mother wants to get one for the garden.

Hi all,
My mother wants to get one for the garden.
Catalpa would probably be the best bet. They all have big leaves, but some species have <"better flowers">. If you prune for big leaves you don't get any flowers.

Paulownia
is an incredibly quicker grower. You can prune it really hard (for even bigger leaves), but if it escapes it can grow to ten metres high in a few years. It has a really good flower (if grown as a tree), but it doesn't always flower.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Catalpa would probably be the best bet. They all have big leaves, but some species have <"better flowers">. If you prune for big leaves you don't get any flowers.

Paulownia
is an incredibly quicker grower. You can prune it really hard (for even bigger leaves), but if it escapes it can grow to ten metres high in a few years. It has a really good flower (if grown as a tree), but it doesn't always flower.

cheers Darrel
Something that will make for a nice shade tree is what we are after. This is for a house garden in Greece! We really appreciate trees for their shade in our climate where the summers get fairly hot. The most prized one is of the Platanus genus but it takes years to grow.

When it's developed though and you get to rest in its shade you come to realise its importance. There is a story in Aesop's fables. http://www.first-school.ws/theme/fables/plane-tree.htm

Here is a common sight in many villages , a plane sometimes more than a hundred years old, located in the middle of the village square. This one is more that 900 years old.
81c3f473805065a6eafa8b6e902115c1.jpg

Hi all,
Something that will make for a nice shade tree is what we are after. This is for a house garden in Greece!
I've seen Paulownia in S. Turkey etc., I'm not sure I've ever seen a Catalpa, although it is meant to be drought tolerant.

The traditional shade tree in the W. Mediterranean is the "Nettle Tree" <"Celtis australis">, but I'm not sure how hardy it is, if you have a cold winter?

Black Mulberry (Morus nigra) might be another option, but not as drought tolerant. You can grow it from a <"truncheon" cutting"> if you have access to a tree.

cheers Darrel

The place is near the sea so no hard winter. Mulberry is nice but the fruit falls on the yard and it makes a real mess.

This is a picture I took from the pavement in my neighborhood just now.
49bbb9075fc4530b206962af088bf9be.jpg

Hi all,
Mulberry is nice but the fruit falls on the yard and it makes a real mess
Black Mulberry makes even more of a mess than that White Mulberry (M. alba), but the fruit taste a lot better.
The place is near the sea so no hard winter.
OK. that increases the possibilities. Liquidambar orientalis would be another option. It looks quite Plane (Platanus) like and colours up brilliantly in the Autumn.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back