• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tribute to a Tributary. Wet and wild... and now with...

Iain Sutherland

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi all, really fancied trying out an emersed scape for a while now and the oportunity arose with a cheap as chips tank from ebay.
The tank is a mess, chipped and scratched all over, but for the price i couldnt moan to much.
I have also really been inspired by James Findley's shallow Tributary...

so two birds with one stone here it is...

IMG_2649.jpg

In situ
IMG_2660.jpg

The tank is 60x20x20 old clearseal
ADA amazonia powder
Coral sand mixed with pea shingle
Wood locally collected
Sitting in a west facing window with no direct light
Spray a couple of times a day with RO so no mineral build up on glass.

Plants:
Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba'' - invitro from freshwatershrimp
Ammania sp. ‘Bonsai’ - invitro from freshwatershrimp
Staurogyne repens - thanks spyder
Anubias nano 'Petite'
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Marsilea hirsuta
Rotala Rotundifolia -just to see what happens from immersed growth
Vesicularia dubyana

Im still looking for a background plant, have been considering:
Alternathera Reineckii 'Mini' - believe it goes green emersed though :(
Hygrophila sp. ''Araguaia'' - also believe it goes green.

Does any know of a plant that stays red emersed...??

Also, i am really impressed with the invitro pots, loads to a pot and healthy!

Laters :thumbup:

Re: Tribute to a Tributary, emersed experiment

Looking good easer, I see the Staurogyne. :D

I've got some hygrophila corymbosa siamensis (tropica 53b) that I've started emersed and the new emersed leaves have a good amount of reddy/brown to them. Not sure if they will stay like this but it looks interesting.

Do you think you will get enough ambient light in that location? Adding a lamp will certainly speed things up.

Edit. After posting this I went to the tropica site to check the info for (53b). http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plantd ... x?pid=053B

can achieve red-brown leaves in good light conditions.

That never happened submerged.

The altern. Mini does not get green emersed, but it`s really not very pretty either :) The araguaia, though, does go green emersed. The standard altern. stay red too, given enough light. Have you considered some darkleaved crypts. ?

spyder said:
Do you think you will get enough ambient light in that location? Adding a lamp will certainly speed things up.

No idea mate :lol: well its been 5 days now and the HC is flattening and looks to be rooting, stauro is growing, moss has pale green tips and rotundiflolia has emersed leaf tips appearing :D
So i guess there is enough light to grow but think i will supplement with a desk lamp of some sort to speed things along.

Still undecided on the background, i really appreciate the suggestions and think some of them may appear over time as am going to get a few and see what works emersed. Would really like blyxa but it doesnt grow emersed :( Need to find something similar in emersed form.....

Also got some Hawaiian terrestrial moss coming so might add that in too...?

:thumbup:

forgot to mention Ludw. glandulosa - which stays REALLY red ( beatroot) emersed, actually. Just to let u know :)

Thanks mick i will keep an eye out for a few bits.
After thinking id ideally like blyxa but cant i have bought some juncus repens. Not too sure how tall this will get but looks good in the tank at the moment.
Also added some UG and some terrestrial moss on the wood from frothhelmet. Wood is currently having a mould phase on the piece i didnt soak and scrub first :oops: Will take out and clean if it doesnt subside.
HC is coming along now, was set back as you can see all the pale leaf was inside the invitro gel so has just died off but roots now going down and a few runners.
Also ordered 2 x 11w arcpod style lights from HK so just waiting.

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

Juncus should maintain acc. size :) will produce a H...of alot of flowers eventually - which u may like, though :)
Mick.

Mick.Dk said:
Juncus should maintain acc. size :) will produce a H...of alot of flowers eventually - which u may like, though :)
Mick.

lots of flowers will be a bonus mick :thumbup:

First few emersed leaves from the rotalla have appear and ammania bonsai is stiffening up now after being floppy and has new shoots. Can tell anubia's are a terrestrial plant as roots are 2" already and plenty of new leaf.

So question... will the nutrients in the amazonia release into the water or do they hold on to it so the plant roots 'suck' it out?? Reason i ask is the UG is planted in the path which is inert gravel....

So its been three weeks since planting, all growing ok. Just added 2 x 11w lights today, hopefully will make it all grow quicker. Plus its a better light for pictures :D

IMG_3014.jpg

hydrocotyle sp. japan tiny flowers
IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

:thumbup:

Re: Tribute to a Tributary. update

Hi Iain, you certainly are ticking all the aquatic boxes with your variety.
Your tribute seems to be coming along nicely mate.
Any chance of a pic of the marine set up just cos im nosey?..i love anything aquatic :geek:

Looking good. I've had a little yellowing of some HC from 1-2 grow pot so you suggest it's not rinsing the gel off enough? I was in the garage prepping and planting so washed in a container of water. Will have to follow instructions better next time.

Ady34 said:
Any chance of a pic of the marine set up just cos im nosey?..i love anything aquatic :geek:

yeah, its something of an obsession at the moment but i think most of you can understand that!
Your on the way mate.... :lol:
Im really curious how many tanks people have?

Anyway..
IMG_2424.jpg

somethingfishy said:
Haha after my disaatrous substrate change tonight .. you should try the misty tank!!!
Very low maintenance but you cant see anything :crazy:

Something smart will appear from the mist mate :)

spyder said:
Looking good. I've had a little yellowing of some HC from 1-2 grow pot so you suggest it's not rinsing the gel off enough? I was in the garage prepping and planting so washed in a container of water. Will have to follow instructions better next time.

I think the leaves inside the gel were already dead or in immersed form, above the gel growth was staggering and continues to be. I will certainly have to replant the ammania bonsai. Would very much like to do a tank all 1-2's , I think Mark was considering it which would be cool to watch.

easerthegeezer said:
Ady34 said:

yeah, its something of an obsession at the moment but i think most of you can understand that!
Your on the way mate.... :lol:
Im really curious how many tanks people have?

Anyway..
IMG_2424.jpg
Ahh, cool man, now thats a shrimp nano :thumbup:
Looks great mate, very healthy...must be quite a challenge in a small volume to keep it all sweet.
I only have 2 tanks, looking at spyders threads he must have about 5 or 6 :wideyed: :lol:
Cheerio and thanks for sharing,
Ady.

:D
im jealous, a small marine with a pair of clownfish and an anemone is something id like to have....dont tell me its been easier than planted....
in fact the Mrs. just walked past and went awww, i like that why couldnt you do something like that!
Then one of my boys walked past and said are they nemo's? can we have some....

Ady34 said:
:D
im jealous, a small marine with a pair of clownfish and an anemone is something id like to have....dont tell me its been easier than planted....
in fact the Mrs. just walked past and went awww, i like that why couldnt you do something like that!
Then one of my boys walked past and said are they nemo's? can we have some....

That sounds like a green flag to me. Have at it!

Back