• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

trimming Bolbitis heudelotii

Paulus

I was wondering how to trim the Bolbitis heudelotii. can i just cut/remove the long leaves or will this lead into a dead plant. Never had this plant before so it is new for me :) some leaves are to long now. 25cm :rolleyes:

I always used to cut the bigger, older leaves off at the rhizome. This encourages newer growth.

Dave.

You can't snap it, you're likely to bruise the plant and snap the rhizome, use the sharpest scissors you have kicking about and chop as close to the rhizome as you can.

Garuf said:
You can't snap it, you're likely to bruise the plant and snap the rhizome, use the sharpest scissors you have kicking about and chop as close to the rhizome as you can.

This is right in my experience. Bolbitus is tough stuff, snapping is not easy, and if your scissors aren't up to much then the bruising will occur also.

If you cut all the leaves at the Rhizome is there a chance the plant wont grow back or is regrowth definite?

cheers

I actually hack all the leaves off to make them easier to tie onto lava rocks and wood and they grow back just fine. They tend of be better filled in the long run as well as each small fragment of the rhizome now starts as a individual clumps of plants.

Back