• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming Helanthium Tennelum

oddn0ise

Do you guys trim Tennelum or leave it to grow naturally. I do like the natural look but not sure whether it's better to trim it...

Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 17.25.54.png

Hi @oddn0ise I feel thats mostly a matter of preference. Of course, you wan't to trim off leaves that are dying or decaying, and open up for new growth, alleviate flow restrictions and such, but otherwise it's more an aesthetic considering IMO. Personally, I like it to grow a bit out of hand as I am striving to maintain the overgrown jungle scape look in my tanks.
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Not had the 'Green' variant as it can be a bit of a bully and take over, but have had the 'brown' which isn't as aggressive and mixed it with Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis 'micro swords', which worked well IMO to give the natural wild look. It was great at sending out runners as I only purchased one pot for 500l tank.
The 'Brown' variant doesn't like DSM and prefers being under water.

The 'brown' can be hard to get hold of and 'if' anyone is after a small amount to get started just 'pm' me ;)

Back