trimming p stellata.

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Mark Evans, 9 Sep 2008.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i know clive gave advice on this, but ive got stems that have broke the surface now by a good inch or so. will it flower? or should i cut it?

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

not sure whther it will flower (although there is a better chance if it does), but it will produce different shape leaves. As long as it doesnt reach the lights and gets frazzled then it will be fine.

I would leave it to see what happens, can you get apic of it? :)

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

yeh. also another stem has come to the top. the red one.

75a72a4a.jpg

1ae3334c.jpg

672d6773.jpg

there all going to break the surface soon :? the tank seems to be on steroids at the moment.

4. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

If you're not careful you'll start choking the tank and flow will suffer. I'd keep everything nice and trimmed personally.

Cheers,

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

is the red one a ludwigia sp? When i had it it roduced some nice leaves, i had ludwigia repens.

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

the flow is suffering a little allready. this is where i am confused. to i trim halfway down p stellata? or trim and re plant. what would you do clive?

7. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Well, the minute you cut the stem that initiates multiple shoots at the nodes so you will likely lose that singular "palm tree" shape. You can get 5 or 10 side shoots emerging simultaneously. If you want to prolong the singular form you have to replant the topped portion and toss the base. That gets dicey because the lower portion of the topped stem sometimes tends to rot. That's why I suggested to float the topped portions for a couple of weeks before replanting or just continue to replant them as their lower stem goes soft until they harden and stay put. In a few weeks though you'll have the same dilemma. Stelleta can get messy and is a dichotomy, no doubt. The only reason I endure the tribulations is because it produces some of the most spectacular photo shots I have ever taken. If you're not fussed about keeping that singular shape then just toss the tops and manage the side shoots as they emerge. The more CO2 you have the less likely the stem will rot, but the more side shoots you'll generate.

Cheers,

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

brill, thanks clive :D

9. Garuf

Garuf Member

I have that red plant and rotalla rotundifolia both growing outside emergant in a goldfish puddle. Shame I can't keep them looking nice in my own tanks.