• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming plants

Mattant1984

So a very vague question here but how often are people trimming dead or dying leaves from their plants?

I seem to do it a couple of times a week and wanted to know if this was normal??

Many thanks

For fast growing plants, there are generally no dead or dying leaves but I still have to trim them about once every 1-2 weeks (i.e. the leaves on fast growing plants are 2 weeks old... too 'young' to start decaying)

For slower growing plants, (for me that refers to A.Pedicatella, Tonina Lotus Blossom and Eriocaulons) I don't feel there is a problem, so I don't disturb the plants at all until they are ready to be trimmed and replanted.

So I supose what I'm wanting to know is if I have a few dead leaves from something like a cryptocoryne in a week is that a bad thing or quite normal??

Hi all,
I have a few dead leaves from something like a cryptocoryne in a week is that a bad thing or quite normal??
Normally Cryptocoryne spp. leaves are long lasting, but they are prone to melting, particularly if they are plants that were grown emersed and then submerged. You may find that all the old leaves melt off, before new leaves grow.

<"Slow growing plants"> (like most Cryptocoryne spp.) are an advantage in a long term set-up, but you may need some fast growing plants in the set-up stage. One advantage of plants with a rapid turn over of leaves is that it allows you to diagnose nutrient deficiencies, particularly in <"a floating plant with green leaves">, the reason for "floating" is just that it takes CO2 availability out of the equation.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Normally Cryptocoryne spp. leaves are long lasting, but they are prone to melting, particularly if they are plants that were grown emersed and then submerged. You may find that all the old leaves melt off, before new leaves grow.

<"Slow growing plants"> (like most Cryptocoryne spp.) are an advantage in a long term set-up, but you may need some fast growing plants in the set-up stage. One advantage of plants with a rapid turn over of leaves is that it allows you to diagnose nutrient deficiencies, particularly in <"a floating plant with green leaves">, the reason for "floating" is just that it takes CO2 availability out of the equation.

cheers Darrel
Thank you Darrel,

Awesome response as usual 👍🏼👍🏼

I've noticed that 2 of my crypts that have been in the tank for about 6 months and never had any melting are now starting to do so. They are both the same type which I can't remember the name but will add a picture below.

Many thanks

Matt

Attachments

• 20221103_070856.jpg
    20221103_070856.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20221103_070847.jpg
    20221103_070847.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
Back