• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming Pogostemon Helferi

MirandaB

Hi All,
My Pogostemon helferi is getting rather leggy,probably down to not enough co2 flowing around it,a problem which I am addressing :(
There is new growth at the bases so should I just trim the tall growth off?

Good news for you, then, Miranda :) ...........the new growth will benefit from the top being cut, making them grow faster and bigger!

Good news for you, then, Miranda :) ...........the new growth will benefit from the top being cut, making them grow faster and bigger!
HURRAY :clap: won't feel so bad wielding the machete tomorrow then!
Unfortunately this is my first planted tank and I have been guilty of wanting to try everything so it's got a bit jungly :banghead:
Soon I shall have a go at a proper scape with a "less is more" approach :D

Well make sure the pog. helferii don't get overshaded by other plants, then. THAT will make it grow leggy, for sure.

Which was not the case in this setup, as I read in the info above ;)
Mick.

To my understanding CO2 can well contribute to the leggy growth of plants as Alastair suggests. Carpet plants will grow tall to get CO2 near the surface when they aren't getting enough near the substrate. Increasing lighting or replanting the plant at the spot which receives more light will potentially make it worse as the extra light will drive its need more CO2 and other nutrients more. I've read that even carpet plants like HC Cuba could do well with lights lower than its recommended strength as long as decent levels of CO2 reaches the substrate level where the HCs are.

Michael.

I'm going to change from the duckbill outlet to using the spraybar and a small pump which should create a better distribution of the CO2.
I've given the Pogo a good hacking and there's some decent growth underneath so fingers crossed it won't take long to come back :)

Which was not the case in this setup, as I read in the info above ;)
Mick.

Yes miranda did say probably due to insufficient flow so will be the case, all I was stating was that when you mentioned dont let it get shaded or it will grow leggy I was simply pointing out if co2 in a tank is spot on helferi will grow low even in alot of shade. Clive had it growing in even the darkest parts of his tank.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Yep, you're right - both Pog. helferii and Hem. cuba can grow in less light than recommended, provided other parameters are perfect. ( I didn't read that..... I've done both ! ). :)

Back