• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trimming stems

Deano3

Hi everyone i have never trimmer right back my stems and thinking i need to,should i trim all way at soil then trim the bottoms of stems and replant, or should i trim to soil remove the root structure from the soil then replant the tops ?

Should i make the tops short before replanting ?

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I've never done it that way. I've always trimmed stems just below any hardscape in front so it hides the ugly cut ends and then trimmed the tops to the desired height (usually a bit taller than the cut ends of the rooted stems) and replanted amongst the rooted stems. That way the stand of stems will get thicker. At some point you'll be able to trim the whole lot without replanting the tops. But I guess it depends on what look you're going for. Anyway, Denis Wong might be of some help...

I've done mine the second way, trim the length I want, short for example and then remove the roots and ugly bits at the bottom, then replant the tops into the soil. Only done mine once though and wasn't really aware of any other way 👍

For me, the trimming process depends on the current state of the plant mass itself being trimmed, particularly the condition of what’s left after trimming.

When first establishing the plants, and trimming for the first time, I cut the stems leaving a few leaves at the bottom of each, and replant the tops. Generally after doing that twice there are enough stems that the cut tops are no longer required.

At that point I then just trim and remove to tops, and allow new growth from the cut stems. (Third trim onwards).

However after a while the quality of the remaining cut stems after a trim starts to deteriorate, and becomes too dense and matted, with poor flow through them. At that point I let the stems grow long, trim low down, pull out all the old stem bases and roots until the soil is clear, then replant the tops straight into the soil and start again.

Last edited:
Hi all,
However after a while the quality of the remaining cut stems after a trim starts to deteriorate, and becomes too dense and matted, with poor flow through them.
A lot of stem plants will have a limited number of times that you can cut them down really low, mainly because they run out of dormant <"axillary buds">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for help everyone i ended up cutting low and replanting a few stems hopefully grows back, a very long process 5rimmi g takes ages getting all the bits out of tank. I am really fancying a rescape soon anyway but thanks for all your recommendations I think next time if there is a next time I need to remove the roots and plant the tops.

Dean

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk

Back