• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trip to London.A few more pictures.

Graeme Edwards

Founder
Well, it was my first time in our capital. The first day was spent in Hyde Park rocking it in the free world. I went to see Sea sick Steve, Ban Harper, Fleet foxes and the legend that is Neil Young. So so cool. Cracking night.

Sunday was for exploring the city.We headed to westminster on the tube. I walked through a narrow tunnel to London bridge and BLAM, the scale hit me,this place is massive. So many people, so many tourists, me included!

By far the coolest place we went to was Portobello Road and market. Man alive, those people down their are cool. I wanted to take so many pictures of people, but i felt quite rude pointing my camera at locals doing their thing. I never thought street photography would be so hard. Such a cool cool place.

Here is the results and poor attempts and first time attempts at street photography. Again, its been done with my 350D with old 35ml kit lens. Hard work in dark shady markets. Flash would be out of the question in locations these given the subjects.

Cheers.

Re: Trip to London.

I can't believe it's your first time in London! Those are some great shots, if you didn't say where it was I would have thought it was abroad.

great pics, they really capture London well IMHO.
(Haivng lived in the suburbs of London all my life I have spent a fair bit of time 'up town' so feel qualified to say this! :lol: )

Sounds ike you had a great time :)

Great shots mate! I like the post processing you've done too :)

The few times I've been to london, I've not been able to do much sight seeing. Would love to get to know the place a little better :)

good pictures :) I like the 5th shot. It is very moddy and contrasty - modern & old feel to it at the same time.

Sunday was for exploring the city.We headed to westminster on the tube. I walked through a narrow tunnel to London bridge and BLAM, the scale hit me,this place is massive. So many people, so many tourists, me included!

I know, it is so frantic to what i am used too i think it would annoy me! By the end i was getting bored of having to push through the packed crowds (and this was mid-week :eek: )
By far the coolest place we went to was Portobello Road and market. Man alive, those people down their are cool. I wanted to take so many pictures of people, but i felt quite rude pointing my camera at locals doing their thing. I never thought street photography would be so hard. Such a cool cool place.

I always have the same feelings, which is why i respect Tom for his amazing street photgraphy. I always wonder if the photographer asks the person to take a picture, or if they snap away :oops:

the last 3 are my favourites, but the last one would be the one i chose if i had to. the geezers face is brilliant!

in actual fact with shots like that, you'd make a good wedding photographer...the paparazzi off the cuff style is so in nowadays!

the self portrait is good too. i've got loads of those (of myself of course) in various parts of the world doing various things, in various reflective things!

Nice pics g man,London is a great place for a weeks holiday it has so much to see,
See you soon dude,

nice pics i love the 2nd one...reminds me of banksy's street 'art' (maby it is his?) and i like the blured (excuse the non photogrpahic jargon) one with the umbrellas :D
how come you didnt go to the london aquarium while you were at westminster? good way to spend couple of houres.

a1Matt said:
great pics, they really capture London well IMHO.
(Haivng lived in the suburbs of London all my life I have spent a fair bit of time 'up town' so feel qualified to say this! :lol: )

Sounds ike you had a great time :)

Thats cool mate, I just took pictures that looked interesting. Im glad it has captured it.
aaronnorth said:
good pictures :) I like the 5th shot. It is very moddy and contrasty - modern & old feel to it at the same time.

I know, it is so frantic to what i am used too i think it would annoy me! By the end i was getting bored of having to push through the packed crowds (and this was mid-week :eek: )

I always have the same feelings, which is why i respect Tom for his amazing street photography. I always wonder if the photographer asks the person to take a picture, or if they snap away :oops:

Tom takes some awesome pictures.
I cant imagine how it would be to live there. I can imagine very tiring, pushing through the crowds and having to keep your wits about you.
saintly said:
the last 3 are my favorites, but the last one would be the one i chose if i had to. the geezers face is brilliant!

in actual fact with shots like that, you'd make a good wedding photographer...the paparazzi off the cuff style is so in nowadays!

the self portrait is good too. i've got loads of those (of myself of course) in various parts of the world doing various things, in various reflective things!

Hmm a pap or wedding photographer......? Both im sure pay well, but not my thing. Crazy that you see that though...
Cheers mate.

glenn said:
nice pics i love the 2nd one...reminds me of banksy's street 'art' (maby it is his?) and i like the blured (excuse the non photogrpahic jargon) one with the umbrellas :D

how come you didn't go to the london aquarium while you were at westminster? good way to spend couple of hours.

It is Banksy mate. Its covered in perspex and bolted down. Well cool.
I wanted to visit the aquarium and Dahli's exerbition, but it was blisteringly hot and i wanted to take some pictures of the culture. The museums and galleries are for winter I reckon.

Thanks for the kind words......

Graeme Edwards said:
Hmm a pap or wedding photographer......? Both im sure pay well, but not my thing. Crazy that you see that though...

why crazy 8) it's only an observation about your photography. ;)

Graeme Edwards said:
Hmm a pap or wedding photographer......?

pap style wedding photography! not individual jobs. the 2 combined.

all i'm saying is what you've done in the images above, most cant do for toffee. i know some potential brides and grooms would love it!

Ahh yeah,nice one, i get what ya saying. Its quite a trendy way to do wedding photographs these days. I remember when I was planning my wedding ( It never happened :arghh: 'never trust a women ) we were looking for a photographer, and the guys doing the pap style pics where so expensive. They did look cool though. Im not sure I would be ok with the pressure of weddings. If you get it wrong or dont have many good pictures, well, the bride aint gana be happy. Plus you need to be consistent and have the right gear, im not sure i have either of those. Maybe one day.
I think my biggest limitation is my lens, its so slow at f4.5 he smallest, i struggle capture anything in low light. I could up the ISO, but i like fine quality shots and im not sure the 350D can give me that at high ISO's. The other limitation is just the basic knowledge of exposures, AV to TV. Some times I shoot in AV and cant get the shot quick enough, its to dark or to light, I flick it over to P and blam, the camera does it for me and I have no idea how. I should look into that.

Also, my pics arnt much to look at pre edit. Im not sure what that says about my photography....lol....

Yeah he kept doing that. He was also sitting in the meditation position with his hands like you would expect to see.....respect...I tried taking a picture of that, but there was too much around him and it was distracting.

Ive never read heat magazine.....not sure I follow on that one. :oops:

Cheers.

Just out of curiosity to all you street photographers - do you actually ask before taking a photo of people etc or just go ahead and hope they don't charge at you? :lol:

rawr said:
Just out of curiosity to all you street photographers - do you actually ask before taking a photo of people etc or just go ahead and hope they don't charge at you? :lol:
If you ask them they will just pose and not look very natural :p

Nice series mate! :D

I used to go to London regularly during my misspent youth. You've captured the atmosphere very well.

The last shot is also my favourite.

What post-processing are you doing?

rawr said:
For most candids it's generally best to capture stuff without the subject knowing you're there at all, as this maintains the purity of the moment. This is where longer focal lengths come into their own.

Back