• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tripartita - recently developed holes

Gio_St

Hi,

Not sure why my tripartita looks like Swiss cheese?
The holes developed recently and I suspect my Amanos and/or pest snails are the culprits, as I believe I've succeeded in reducing algae in the tank which in turn means less food available for my cleaning crew. Having said that, I do frequently provide them with algae wafers. Perhaps I could increase the amount of the wafers but I am afraid that doing so will increase the bottom waste, as the wafers are often just partly consumed, and it won't be easy to clean the additional waste as the bloody amanos often grab the wafers from the feeding area and go to eat elsewhere where it's more difficult to spot wafer leftovers and vacuum the substrate.

Attachments

• tempImage8VYqLN.png
    tempImage8VYqLN.png
    15.5 MB · Views: 402
Does look like the Amano’s are suspect. Typical holes they make when trying to remove whatever is attached to the leaf surface, tearing the plant with it. A bit odd though if that’s AR mini next to it, they usually go for that first.

as the bloody amanos often grab the wafers from the feeding area and go to eat elsewhere

The old hit and run 😂

Perhaps I could increase the amount of the wafers

Any chance you have more amano shrimp than the setup can support? Could you move some to another tank where their services may be appreciated?

Well hopefully you can get them to desist @Gio_St . If it’s just the tripartita you could consider a change of species for that area? Maybe including the Amano’s in your feeding might calm them down.

Had the same problem with Rotala green in one tank when their numbers were increased (lots of amano’s in there whilst another tank got rescaped). They just demolished it over and over again so had to pick a faster, sturdier grower.

If it’s just the tripartita you could consider a change of species for that area?

any suggestions on ‘amano-proof’ background plants (for a 100L tank)?

perhaps I could increase the amount of blood worms (I feed my pea puffers with) as the amanos seem to find them more palatable than the wafers..

any suggestions on ‘amano-proof’ background plants (for a 100L tank)?

Assuming your tank is Co2 injected? From your photo can see the surrounding plants are Alternanthera reineckii mini, Ranunculus inundatus and Limnophila sessiliflora.

If you want a fine texture to compliment the area and fill the space Myriophyllum mattogrossense could be an option:

1623999021667.jpeg

Limnophila hippuridoides would be vertical stems that grow rapidly. They are large though so depends on the rest of the tank and whether this is in keeping with what you are after:

1623999071169.jpeg

Another option is to pick off the leaves with holes on the Tripartita and let it run. You could push a root tab under the Tripartita to give it a boost and leave the tank as is.

perhaps I could increase the amount of blood worms (I feed my pea puffers with) as the amanos seem to find them more palatable than the wafers..

Wouldn’t go overboard. All that protein and you end up with mutant Amano’s that look like the body builders of the shrimp world 😂

Assuming your tank is Co2 injected? From your photo can see the surrounding plants are Alternanthera reineckii mini, Ranunculus inundatus and Limnophila sessiliflora
The tank is indeed Co2 injected. You got the 1st and 3rd right, the 2nd is Ceratopteris Siliquosa, not Ranunculus inundatus.
Another option is to pick off the leaves with holes on the Tripartita and let it run
Did this last night.
All that protein and you end up with mutant Amano’s that look like the body builders of the shrimp world
haha. I guess I don't want that, they are already quite big and the tank's bullies..

You got the 1st and 3rd right, the 2nd is Ceratopteris Siliquosa, not Ranunculus inundatus.

Oooo.... Close, but no cigar :cigar:

Will go hang my head in shame for missing the hat trick :sorry:

haha. I guess I don't want that, they are already quite big and the tank's bullies..

Having more plant mass for them to clean could calm things down if you are unable to re-home some of the Amano’s. Maybe let everything grow out a little more than you perhaps intend to match the plant mass to the number of Amano’s?

A quickly blanched then cooled piece of cucumber pegged to the glass is probably more ideal than bloodworm as well. Magnetic:

1624008838926.jpeg

It can be removed with the remainder when they have had their fill.

Maybe let everything grow out a little more than you perhaps intend to match the plant mass to the number of Amano’s?

I have 6 of them and this is how my tank looks like now, in terms of plant mass. Isn't it enough?

tempImage684x1x.jpg

A quickly blanched then cooled piece of cucumber pegged to the glass is probably more ideal than bloodworm as well
I like the idea of a food clip for cucumber/courgette, perhaps I'll buy one from Amazon. Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Back