Tripods?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by George Farmer, 20 Oct 2008.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

What tripods do you photography enthusiasts use?

I'm currently using one designed for camcorders. It's good quality but I want something with a ball and socket head capable of larger loads.

This looks reasonable to me. I don't want to spend more than about £150.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product ... u=10000335

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i use a SLIK pro tripod. it cost £100.there best at the time its good but when a friend let me use there manfrotto, man than thing was in a different league.great bits of kit. especialy when you see them go nearly flat to the ground with legs wide open... mine gets close.

3. George Farmer

Thanks, Mark.

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

You can't go wrong with a Manfrotto, I have a monopod from them and the build quality is just outstanding ;)

5. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

ive got a manfrotto 190prob with a 488rc2 ballhead. great kit although a bit heavy buut it does make it more sturdy. The 486 ballhead is just as good but I got a good price on the 488 so got that instead.

I think the 190 has been replaced by an x version now with more features.

6. George Farmer

Cheers.

I was debating between the 055 and 190. The 055 has a higher load capacity, and with my bulky 10D with battery grip etc... And, as you say - more stable. I don't mind lugging about a bit more weight anyway.

The 'x' has the 'swing down' feature than I'm not fussed about.

7. Stu Worrall

Stu Worrall Forum Moderator Staff Member

i actually wish id bought the 055 after getting the 190 due to the extra height. I do a lot of landscape stuff and find the 190 quite short so I have to bend down. Im also only 5' 7 so if you're any taller then you would probably be better with the 055.

Re the weight Ive had a 30d with grip and long tele on with no problems. its more the ballhead that deals with the weight

8. George Farmer

Cool. Thanks. I'm a 6'1" so that's good to know.

The 486 head is rated for 6Kg so that's plenty too.

Sounds like I've made my decision.

Thanks again, Stu.

9. bugs

bugs Member

I've got the 055Pro with a pan & tilt head. Had it a few years now and can't fault it. I've often thought about buying something a bit lighter but it's never really been a particularly pressing need. They used to do a carbon fibre version too but I seem to recall that adds quite a bit to the price. If you want to visit camera (tripod) heaven hop on a train from Newark (that is your neck of the woods?) to Kings Cross and nip round the corner to Calumet :) Whatever you buy, make sure it has a quick release option (with a lock in too... it's too easy to drop the camera out of the pod without one with some heads).