• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tripods?

i use a SLIK pro tripod. it cost £100.there best at the time its good but when a friend let me use there manfrotto, man than thing was in a different league.great bits of kit. especialy when you see them go nearly flat to the ground with legs wide open... mine gets close.

ive got a manfrotto 190prob with a 488rc2 ballhead. great kit although a bit heavy buut it does make it more sturdy. The 486 ballhead is just as good but I got a good price on the 488 so got that instead.

I think the 190 has been replaced by an x version now with more features.

stuworrall said:
ive got a manfrotto 190prob with a 488rc2 ballhead. great kit although a bit heavy buut it does make it more sturdy. The 486 ballhead is just as good but I got a good price on the 488 so got that instead.

Cheers.

I was debating between the 055 and 190. The 055 has a higher load capacity, and with my bulky 10D with battery grip etc... And, as you say - more stable. I don't mind lugging about a bit more weight anyway.

The 'x' has the 'swing down' feature than I'm not fussed about.

George Farmer said:
stuworrall said:

Cheers.

I was debating between the 055 and 190. The 055 has a higher load capacity, and with my bulky 10D with battery grip etc... And, as you say - more stable. I don't mind lugging about a bit more weight anyway.

i actually wish id bought the 055 after getting the 190 due to the extra height. I do a lot of landscape stuff and find the 190 quite short so I have to bend down. Im also only 5' 7 so if you're any taller then you would probably be better with the 055.

Re the weight Ive had a 30d with grip and long tele on with no problems. its more the ballhead that deals with the weight

stuworrall said:
George Farmer said:
stuworrall said:

Cheers.

i actually wish id bought the 055 after getting the 190 due to the extra height. I do a lot of landscape stuff and find the 190 quite short so I have to bend down. Im also only 5' 7 so if you're any taller then you would probably be better with the 055.

Re the weight Ive had a 30d with grip and long tele on with no problems. its more the ballhead that deals with the weight

Cool. Thanks. I'm a 6'1" so that's good to know.

The 486 head is rated for 6Kg so that's plenty too.

Sounds like I've made my decision.

Thanks again, Stu.

I've got the 055Pro with a pan & tilt head. Had it a few years now and can't fault it. I've often thought about buying something a bit lighter but it's never really been a particularly pressing need. They used to do a carbon fibre version too but I seem to recall that adds quite a bit to the price. If you want to visit camera (tripod) heaven hop on a train from Newark (that is your neck of the woods?) to Kings Cross and nip round the corner to Calumet :) Whatever you buy, make sure it has a quick release option (with a lock in too... it's too easy to drop the camera out of the pod without one with some heads).

Back