• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica soil on top of Tropica substrate

Jørgensen.

Seedling
Hello.
Can i use Tropica soil on top of Tropica substrate?- or will that just result in substrate in the water column?

Maybe there is a better combination?
It's for a heavy planted tank where i want to try to make some hills.

Thank you.

For steep hills I use crushed basalt (top) - Tropica substrate (middle) - pumice (bottom).
For more heavily planted tanks I replace the pumice with Tropica soil.
The benefit of basalt is the slope angle will happily stay at 45 degrees elevation.

I think that your concerns are valid, I think the Tropica substrate could plume up a bit when you replant because Tropica soil is a lot lighter than gravel.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-21_11-13-40.png
    upload_2020-1-21_11-13-40.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 294
Just to be clear, do you mean heaping Tropica Aquarium Soil on top of Tropica Growth Substrate?
Tropica AS is an all in one substrate solution, and Tropica GS needs to be capped with sand or gravel.
Personally, I wouldn't cap one with the other, it's unnecessary and there's always the risk it'll end badly.

If you want to create slopes I think the best and cheapest combination would be to use crushed pumice, like @Simon Cole mentions, or inert gravel in filter bags or nylon tights. Then cover with Tropica AS.

Hi.
Could I use a scattering of Tropica Growth Substrate under Volcano Mineral then my Tropica Soil? A kind of substrate sandwich!

I have some Tropica Growth Substrate that will possibly go unused, so was thinking of using it a little?
Would it simply be too rich or actually quite useful?

My setup will be heavily planted.

Thank you!
Simon

Could I use a scattering of Tropica Growth Substrate under Volcano Mineral then my Tropica Soil?
This works fine :)

Tropica GS is a nutrient rich base layer, and as mentioned can “puff up” when plants are uprooted - I just add extra Prime (if you have a siphon running close by, you can remove most of this “cloud” as it’s released) and water change after/during any rescaping, plant removal

I’ve run planted tanks with Tropica GS/Tropica AS layered, and just Tropica AS, both did well ... as I like to rescape, I switched to just AS

If you’re intending a long term set up, I’d add a base layer of GS
(you can also use Jurijs mit JS trick of opening and scattering Tropica Nutrition Capsules - he adds a thin layer of AS, then the capsules, then more soil)

Thanks Alto.
Thats great news and it will be a fun experiment.

Keep you posted how it goes.

Simon

Back