Tropica soil on top of Tropica substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Jørgensen., 16 Jan 2020.

1. Jørgensen.

Jørgensen. Newly Registered

Hello.
    Can i use Tropica soil on top of Tropica substrate?- or will that just result in substrate in the water column?

Maybe there is a better combination?
    It's for a heavy planted tank where i want to try to make some hills.

Thank you.

2. Simon Cole

Simon Cole Member

For steep hills I use crushed basalt (top) - Tropica substrate (middle) - pumice (bottom).
    For more heavily planted tanks I replace the pumice with Tropica soil.
    The benefit of basalt is the slope angle will happily stay at 45 degrees elevation.

I think that your concerns are valid, I think the Tropica substrate could plume up a bit when you replant because Tropica soil is a lot lighter than gravel.

Attached Files:

Tim Harrison and dw1305 like this.
  3. Ryan Thang To

Ryan Thang To Member

Hi
    Yes it fine to add soil on top just make sure you drain the water before you add the new soil and fill it up slowly

Cheers
    Ryan

4. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Global Moderator Staff Member

Just to be clear, do you mean heaping Tropica Aquarium Soil on top of Tropica Growth Substrate?
    Tropica AS is an all in one substrate solution, and Tropica GS needs to be capped with sand or gravel.
    Personally, I wouldn't cap one with the other, it's unnecessary and there's always the risk it'll end badly.

If you want to create slopes I think the best and cheapest combination would be to use crushed pumice, like @Simon Cole mentions, or inert gravel in filter bags or nylon tights. Then cover with Tropica AS.