• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica TPN+ match using ammonium nitrate

scottturnbull said:
A couple of very fine questions. 'Ammonia in the presence of light causes Algae' isn't really a theory. The problem is, what do you replace it with? Several pages worth of hand-wringing, which won't be accurate either, and most people will fall asleep half-way through.
Exactly. Many people dose ammonia via TPN+, etc, at quite high levels and don't get algae problems. There does seem a point, which is variable depending on the tank, that it does become a problem. People can go on and on about how bad ammonia is, but at the end of the day a lot of people knowingly or unknowingly are dosing it straight into their tanks without any problems. Just look at George Farmers tanks to see how fab they looked when he dosed TPN+.

Voo said:
Just wondering, does anyone know of a source of ammonium nitrate that sells small quantities, ie 500g ?
Does it have an alternative name?
Never seen it for sale myself possibly because of it's explosive properties.

James

JamesC said:
Voo said:
Just wondering, does anyone know of a source of ammonium nitrate that sells small quantities, ie 500g ?
Does it have an alternative name?
Never seen it for sale myself possibly because of it's explosive properties.

James

Thanks James,

Will it be possible to make this mix then?
Is there another chemical that could be used that contains ammonium nitrate?

James your existing recipe for 'All-in-one' works a treat as it is. Since I started using it in my low light tank growth has been incredible. What benefit would using Ammonium Nitrate instead of Potassium Nitrate have?

To be honest I've got no idea. I just thought I would try and do a much more accurate match to see how much ammonium nitrate would be required to achieve the levels quoted by Tropica. If potassium nitrate is used instead of ammonium nitrate then the potassium levels come out 3x higher than what TPN+ has, not that it is a problem.

Thanks
James

Well, actually - if you look at the EI - the TPN+ is low on Potassium, so using KNO3 would help correct that problem too. (Just for the record, it is low on PO4 as well.)

What about using ammonium phosphate? Would that be possible to use, rather than ammonium nitrate?

Voo said:
What about using ammonium phosphate? Would that be possible to use, rather than ammonium nitrate?
Yes you could. Or you could use urea and potassium nitrate like I am at the moment, which IMHO is safer.

James

Back