• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trumpet snails help aerate sand?

Bhavik

I have some very fine sand and I tend to mess it up during a water change but I was wondering if the snails would help and also help the roots grow better of plants?

Thanks

Yes they will help turnover the sand and aerate it, keeping it more oxygenated and healthy but only in the areas they can reach.

Well that help with the roots of my plants as well?
I’ve got some loaches as well which can keep the population in check as aell

It won't do any harm to the plants and will probably benefit them but plants roots bring oxygen down to the substrate anyway. The snails are great at stopping compaction and helping the sand structure stay more open, so in that way they benefit the plants.

Depending on which species of loach you have, the snails might not last that long. Bigger species like clown loaches or yo yo loaches can easily hunt them under the sand and devour them but smaller species are good at keeping numbers in check. In my brothers tank he has a group of botia striata and still plenty of mts but no large ones. He does probably overfeed the loaches to much though.

i find that sometimes the roots arent growing great and sometimes a few are rotting and im guessing thats down to not enough aeration in the sand which should be sorted with the snails??

yes i do have yo yo loaches i might save them in another tank until the population picks up and then put it in the main tank that way theres enough to go around

Back