• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TryHard Dutch Aquascape (Ukaps Edition!)

Long overdue update... Not much to see honestly, im aware it needs a trim T-T just havent gotten to it ive been so busy. Rn the trimmings are up for sale so the sooner the better LOL

If I could... Cut this tank in half, I would so much because the left side looks like my dreams and the right side is waaaay not as good obvious reasons. I ordered some plants to re do the right side- reason I havent updated- but they all came dead... No refund...
Soooo now I have to wait again. lol. rip.

Pic dump!!!:

xpUJ1j2.jpg

OxRf9RI.jpg

hRy6S9W.jpg

0veT6Mr.jpg

N50v0vR.jpg

V6Ejb7K.jpg

BD1D09l.jpg

ceGGa56.jpg

jadqqSQ.jpg

0kOU3Gx.jpg

fAdCgFm.jpg

HMiu39H.jpg

JOHvgCL.jpg

Ah yes the lack of updates is exquisite! lol!

Sorry about that :) hopefully i can make it up to you all by typing a long write up of whats been going on!

I haven't seen the tank in a week +, i have been traveling to arkansas to get some stuff (we moved from there to GA as u may know) and bring it back down, so currently im at a hotel whilst anticipating seeing my tank tomorrow. Pretty excited to see it honestly, i added a bunch of new plants into the center of the tank- and i think after a bit of growth and proper trimming it will look very nice compared to what it looked like 2 weeks ago haha. I expect tomorrow to see a porly cared for 1 week absent weird looking tank unfortunately but we'll see.
I will take some pics and post the before and after TLC of the tank. Will update then :)
Cya tmrw!
Nate

Pic dump:

xMAmBfq.jpg

bSjhWMt.jpg
ix13EXM.jpg

ifnlINA.jpg

ifxr6F7.jpg

Bx9wOrk.jpg

YjDJ4G7.jpg

Nz1U1xI.jpg

As you can most likely see, i moved some plants around on the left side. I have Completely removed the pearlweed from the tank and i think i will end up removing the rotala rotundfolia as well, but i havent planned that out officially yet. just an idea.
In the back left i replaced the pearlweed with pogostemon stellatus dassen, and ludwigia mini super red. I moved the super red more towards the back, and i have AR mini- but when i begin to propagate it i will move it in front of the mini super red.

Another cool thing is the leambagoli (however u spell it haha) has had babies :)

I think what i am not Purposely doing, is lowering plant MASS, and raising plant Species....

Last edited:
Well i forgot to refill Co2 for 2 weeks (got busy and distracted)
fortunately Literally nothing happened just slower plant growth.

Here is a current FTS, trying to carpet with DBT its taking its time.
Au9ecTw.jpg

0LAeAtC.jpg

Looking great :)
Well i forgot to refill Co2 for 2 weeks (got busy and distracted)
fortunately Literally nothing happened just slower plant growth.
Amazing how biologically stable a well planted tank can be.

Wanted to say i like the hair grass with that blyxa, but it's gone..
Do you have low light cause it looks pretty dark on photo?
my photos always turn out dark, i lower the ISO- better focus i find.
But no its (well, used to be at least, im sure now its a bit lower but in the same range due to aging bulbs i gotta buy new ones cause why not) very high par, around 100-200+ with aging/new bulbs or so, i had burr help me figure that out a while back. Just has 1 geisman super purple in it, and i just havent had the funds to purchase the bulbs i so desire yet :/

been a long time since the last update,

Here's a freshy! Explanations to some images at the bottom:

sOuY7FZ.jpg

QSRkFcV.jpg

c0S4xzO.jpg

OqV9kpA.jpg

QxwYovm.jpg

lfcE6sR.jpg

kXCTL07.jpg

6VWt1Qz.jpg

(image above)
Rotala h'ra, friend sent to me, i have absolutely no clue what to do with it. Added some to the emersed setup- but this has just been floating here for around 3 weeks.

AQi4aTK.jpg

(image above)
Whatever this is, someone sent to me on a plant order, and I HATE IT, ive been pulling TUFFS of this shi* out for about, 3 weeks, now (didnt come from the h'ra it came from a christmas moss order) and it was originally in the fluval, but when i took DBT out of the fluval, i guess the tiniest spec (after i actually INSPECTED the dbt making sure it wasnt attached to it at all) was still attached and behold, i now have another un-rid-able plant sp.

WNecdbZ.jpg

Easily over 70 wild type cherries in this tank now.
not counting the babies.

12pYSzA.jpg

mQdMXHP.jpg

JqNyff9.jpg

2pvr88W.jpg

jhThhmZ.jpg

Felf8T3.jpg

0IVeZhV.jpg

yksXjXP.jpg

(image above)

The images of this rotala rotundfolia from the top of the water looking down; truly do not come close of what it looks like in real life. IRL it looks like a sunset! its incredible! Tons of work on that specific plant paid off just for one image LOL.

uCGwusZ.jpg

uHnsfex.jpg

vzHypGx.jpg

So what is this (last) image about?

Well. I might be doing an iwagumi.
Might as in, am.
I think i've said it previously but im not sure, so now you know, the black lava rock i purchased i really enjoyed versus seiryu stone i saw. (i bought this from Premier aquatics) and oh man, i do not regret my purchase. The rock IMO contrasts very well with just about everything, i haven't done a fake scape with it yet as im not even close to ready to begin this iwagumi 40b adventure but, it definitely excites me. The carpet plan is- Well actually, nvm lets not get to out of hand here....!

*for size reference, see the 1 gallon jug in the background. The main rock is larger than the water jug.*

Look forward to the iwagumi :cool:

Look forward to the iwagumi :cool:
You're going to laugh.

So after re doing the 40b a bit and moving SOME minor plants around (its all i could do ive been to busy)
Im really thinking hmmm
did i really just waste 100$ on stone and publicly humiliate myself cause this is looking pretty freaking nice now.

yes im really saying that.

But good news, here is my random thoughts that probobly wont happen so dont get excited.
New 40b?
it would be in the opposite corner of the room
its not to expensive
i have extra sand
only thing i do not have is an extra light so thats where my "cheap" ends and it would be around 300$ for me to get another light....

hmmmm

now that i think of the upkeep, yea forget that.

Eventually i will tear down the scape i currently have im honestly just waiting for the fish to die, but i have at least 40 fish in there now and wads of shrimp.... so i guess waiting isnt totally an option unless i want to wait forever.
Really, i guess it all boils down to when i want to tear it down and re start. Its been 2 years or so since ive re done a scape and im getting the itch... i "completed" this scape about 1 year in and from there ive just been kind of "growing high tech plants" to see if i can do it. Which has turned out amazing honestly.

things to think about, disregard my random babblings

Plans for the iwagumi

so now i have to plan out this iwagumi... Im very nervous with all honestly, most likely more than i should be. My plan is pretty simple but i just need a little advice,

So here are my ideas:

Your basic iwagumi stone layout (but with lava rock)

-Dwarf baby tears (carpet)
-Blyxa Japonica (to put in between the rocks)

Should i do a background plants? and should i put those directly behind the rocks or just all over the background?...
Thats where im really lost at... the background..

As for substrate, i currently have a dirted substrate (well why where you waiting for your fish to die off? here's your answer...) i really want to take the dirt up and start doing traditional Estimative index dosing (dry) again because with this dirt its reaching... a 1-2 year old age and its Still going surprisingly i havent does in.... a long time.
I would like to tear up the entire substrate and re do EVERYTHING substrate wise, i have the sand to replace it with luckily so that is not another purchase i have to make. Its just inert very fine PFS. I could take the fish out, but what about all the shrimp? and even some of the fish i have in there i simply, cannot, catch even if the tank was bare and the water level was super low. Yes im talking about the unknown amount of breeding pygmy corys i have living in there like a tribe...

So thats how far i am into thought on this so far.

Hi all,It looks like it might be <"Utricularia gibba">.

cheers Darrel
yea its been spreading like mad. I forgot to update u all on this. Its definitely worse than algae. It spreads to fast and i have to manually remove it whenever i see it, then when i do that it BREAKS even when im gentle so i cant kill it OR remove it.

Update time:

Did a massive trim, and FINALLY- came up with a great re-scape for the right most portion of the tank! looks great now and i hope it works out!

We'll see later on for sure!

Here are images, pardon the bacteria bloom:

5t8V06S.jpg

agdRX8z.jpg

TuTcK8X.jpg

PtxmUZv.jpg

rOn2v4p.jpg

AuDcTjf.jpg

OoUn5tI.jpg

O0Iyd1W.jpg

00KQnw0.jpg

Odon9r9.jpg