• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trying new filter in 20g long

johηski

Hi. ive read multiple articles that say u should have overfilterd tanks when using co2 for better distribution of co2.

So i put an Auqa 3 into my 20G long (allready using an Aqua 2) and basicly it looks like a tidal wave :?
The plants look as tho they are struggling to stay in the substrate!! (fish are loving it tho)

So how am i supposed to 'over filter' without ripping the plants up with the current?

Im not yet usning co2 as all the parts are in the post.

Its got no fittings on it/with it, its just an old one i had in the cuboard.

It has a adjustment setting on the side, wich i have on the lowest setting!

And i realy cant afford a new filter as ive just spent a large amount of cash on co2 & lighting :mad:

Try changing the way the flow goes around the tank. Alter the angle of the return so that it angles towards the front of the tank and then it will distribute the ferts and CO2 when you fit it to the front. If it's still too powerful all you'll need is a spray bar or a lily pipe kind of outlet to distribute the flow more gently and they aren't too expensive.

Also remember once your plants grow then their bulk will slow the flow down significantly too so I would think you'll find your filter will be fine once everything settles down.

Im gonna try that Ed, cheers.

Could you reccomend a good filter for the job at around £100 - £120 (external or internal)

Only problem is, there is no cuboard under my tank stand, its an open frame with a base on it, so an external might look abit unsightly, along with the FE & co2 kit.

Get paid monthly, so might be able to get one at the end of this month.

I think I misunderstood; is your current filter an internal filter? I'm not too familiar with the models of that manufacturer.

Either way if you're looking for a filter you ideally want to aim for a stated turnover of around 10 times the tanks volume. As they completely over-rate filters on the turnover this probably equates to a real turnover of 3-6 times the tank's volume.

So, for your 20g tank, 20g = 90litres so ideally you'll want a filter with a turnover of around 900lph. There are some great makes around and to be honest they'll all do the job. At the 'Mercedes' end of the market you should even be able to get an Ehiem 2026 for about £100 (Charterhouse have them for £109.95 with media). Lots of people on here have the Tetratec filters and these seems to be good too. Basically you pays your money and takes your choice.

Yea they are internal's. Very cheap, nasty ones at that! :lol:
Ill have a look round the net for a 900lph

Ehiem 2026 looks good on Caterhouse, im just so scared that this is going to be over-kill !

I have no idea about filters or media, as ive only used the crappy aqua-flows i got with my tanks.

So the whole thing is abit daunting. Ive only just got my head around the whole co2 thing a few weeks ago lol.

Dont worry, small steps at a time. That's what I've done.

If you're constraint on price, I think the TetraTecs are good value, as others have said the top class ones are Eheims but you pay for it.

I recently got a JBL CritaProfi and am very happy with it.

There's loads of different brands out there, I can't think of any I would say don't buy. So have a read, see what they look like, see what size/turnover they are then just go for the one you thinks best for you.

Some on here go for the sponge options others go for ceramic media, again, it's upto you really.

johηski said:
Ehiem 2026 looks good on Caterhouse, im just so scared that this is going to be over-kill !

don't worry you can slow the out flow on the eheim pro 2 filters, which the 2026 is....

Ok, thanks alot guys. I'll probly get one when i get paid at the end of the month.

Looks like ive gotta buy a new stand aswell so i can hide it. :rolleyes:

(MONEY HOLE!!!)

Back