• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trying to find Pygmy sunfish

AlexFeather

Seedling
Does anybody know of any shops or breeders that are selling pygmy sunfish (Elassoma evergladi) very interested in getting a pair but struggling to find them for sale anywhere.

I spent a good while looking for these not long ago, they were another fish along with female scarlet badis that proved quite hard to find in the UK but which was common in Germany when I was over there.
If you manage to find any I'd love to hear about your attempts breeding them. I recently managed to breed my scarlet badis which are quite comparable in terms of size, diet and temperament so I have plenty of cultures of small livefoods on the go. If you need any drop me a PM, I'll only charge you postage as long as you document your breeding attempt here as I'm very curious. I've heard these are even harder to wean onto frozen and dry foods than badis but they are beautiful fish.

in my experience they don't travel well if you're buying online.
Agreed. I've collected two of the local pygmy species and had losses when traveling just an hour or so by car.

Kept them in a temp controlled environment, large bucket with bubbler, plants for cover and lid for darkness. This approach worked fine for transporting wild seahorses, butterfly fish, mangrove killies, and others from local Florida waters, but not the pygmies.

Quite delicate species. I didn't have luck with establishing a colony either time.

Back