• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar 300ea on Nano

Stixas

Seedling
Hey everyone,

Another equipment related question! ^^

I received my new Twinstar 300ea in the mail now. I also ordered a dimmer from Amazon for it.

Which is what my question is about.

The light emits a 1100 lumen light with 14w. Is it even necessary to use a dimmer on the light for the light intensity? Maybe only use it for the ramping feature to not spook the fish when the light goes on.

The tank its going to be on is a Dennerle 60L Nano cube. 38cm long, 38cm deep and 42cm high. With a substrate sloping downwards from the back to the front.

Im going to have only plants that are under Tropicas "easy" section.

So tldr: Should i use a dimmer on this light for the light intensity on this tank size and plants type or should i only use it for the ramping feature and keep it at max intensity?

Thanks in advance! <3

Hi.

On a new tank start at 50 or 60% and slowly increase it to a level that you are happy with.

Yes use the ramp up so as not to spook the fish.

Hope that helps.

S.

Hi.

On a new tank start at 50 or 60% and slowly increase it to a level that you are happy with.

Yes use the ramp up so as not to spook the fish.

Hope that helps.

S.

Hey hey,

Yea was going to start around that but thats kind of my question. More specific about the lights I mentioned and its output. So starting at 50% and add 10% every week till 100% or would the lights be too strong on the size tank with easy plants?

With co2 gas injection light will be good.

Without co2 too strong so yes controller needed.

Really up to you as to how your tank reacts as you turn it up. A very mature stable tank with no co2 may tank full light. Suck it and see!

With co2 gas injection light will be good.

Without co2 too strong so yes controller needed.

Really up to you as to how your tank reacts as you turn it up. A very mature stable tank with no co2 may tank full light. Suck it and see!

Yea going to be low tech. So no co2.
I'll start the light at 50% the first week for 6 hours and ramp it up by 10% and 30 min the first and second week to 70% and 7 hours. See how that goes. Im gonna plant heavily from the start too.

Thanks!

What ive never really got tho is the ramping. Is the ramping on and ramping off time included in the full amount of hrs of lights on? So say lights are 6 hours on with a ramp on and off off 30 min. Should you exclude the low intensity light of the ramping so it effectively stays 6 hours or do you include it so 30 min ramp on and off with 6 hrs at the wanted intensity, making it 7 hrs on in total?

Last edited:
You are over thinking this a bit perhaps. 6 or 7 hours is guideline, not a fixed number that will make the difference between success and failure. Dont worry about your ramp up/down time. If you have no Co2 then keep the light intensity low to start then monitor plant growth and adjust light. It's a judgement call, you might want to come back and ask again when you've been up and running for a week or so.

K

Low tech situations I'm finding are very slow, keep the light just enough to balance the tank , 8 hrs is good to start in a low tech, and 30% for 2 weeks, then I put mine up to 50% and that's how its staying for now,I've had no algea just diatoms from low light and new tank syndrome, I've just upped the hours to 9, so now I will wait and see what changes. Also mine is a chirhios A451 and 15cm from water surfice.
To add 14 w is not a lot and your tank is 42 deep. You have too read the tank and plants but I personally would go 80% after 2 weeks full for 8 hours and see what changes

Last edited:
Low tech situations I'm finding are very slow, keep the light just enough to balance the tank , 8 hrs is good to start in a low tech, and 30% for 2 weeks, then I put mine up to 50% and that's how its staying for now,I've had no algea just diatoms from low light and new tank syndrome, I've just upped the hours to 9, so now I will wait and see what changes. Also mine is a chirhios A451 and 15cm from water surfice.
To add 14 w is not a lot and your tank is 42 deep. You have too read the tank and plants but I personally would go 80% after 2 weeks full for 8 hours and see what changes

Yea those lights have 4350 lumen. No wonder you have it at such a % of intensity haha. Mine have like 1100. I was watching George Farmers videos..or well..binge watching more like. And on the Non-co2 budget playlist he did a tank with a Beamswork led which has 1080 Lumen. Dont think he had his light intensity lowered on that. If anything probably only for a ramping feature for the fish. I might give it a go at 100% for like 8 hours since its gonna be on a bit higher tank. Allthough the tank 42cm high, with the substrate in place and rocks etc its gonna be less than that ofc.

Back