• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar dimmer...which adapter?

FrozenShivers

I bought a Twinstar 60B for my tank arriving next week, I also purchased the S2 Pro dimmer unit but it doesn't fit, my understanding is I need an adapter, does anyone know which adapter I need to buy please? Thanks!

Hi,
Have looked at both units and cannot see mention of the powertip connector sizes for either unit, wonder how you know they will not fit ?
Generally 2.1mm is very common for 12v consumer units, but if they are different, once you have them and can see what sizes they actually are, you can then buy an appropriate adapter from many places like this or ebay etc.
https://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/c3...MIh-OR8Ofu-AIVD5ntCh2GSwTXEAQYAiABEgI5D_D_BwE

They seem very low priced for a Twinstar unit, though not seen mention in the forum about how good they are for a planted tank, any info would be welcome.

Hi,
Have looked at both units and cannot see mention of the powertip connector sizes for either unit, wonder how you know they will not fit ?
Generally 2.1mm is very common for 12v consumer units, but if they are different, once you have them and can see what sizes they actually are, you can then buy an appropriate adapter from many places like this or ebay etc.
https://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/c3...MIh-OR8Ofu-AIVD5ntCh2GSwTXEAQYAiABEgI5D_D_BwE

They seem very low priced for a Twinstar unit, though not seen mention in the forum about how good they are for a planted tank, any info would be welcome.

I tried them and one side would connect but the other wouldn't, I'm at work tomorrow but I'll double check the sizes again on Tuesday and report back. Once the tank is setup I'll let you know how the lights work out, they're a lower range entry is how I understand it :)

Hi,

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-13 at 8.21.13 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-07-13 at 8.21.12 PM.jpeg

Aquarium hasn't arrived yet, here is the adapter and light fittings.

Hi,
Its hard to say what the exact sizes of those conectors are and if such an adapter is available, hopefully someone on the forum might know ?!

Assume you have tested the lights out with its standard connectors and it all work ok ?

If it does and you are still stuck then you could replace one or both ends with some of these easy to wire powertips or if you are able, to solder some standard 2.1mm connectors on.

001259.jpg

I had this issue and honestly couldn’t tell you the answer, but what I did was to go to my local version of Maplin (is that a thing still?) with the light and the timer and try the options until we I found which I needed.

Hi,
Its hard to say what the exact sizes of those conectors are and if such an adapter is available, hopefully someone on the forum might know ?!

Assume you have tested the lights out with its standard connectors and it all work ok ?

If it does and you are still stuck then you could replace one or both ends with some of these easy to wire powertips or if you are able, to solder some standard 2.1mm connectors on.

View attachment 191140

I had this issue and honestly couldn’t tell you the answer, but what I did was to go to my local version of Maplin (is that a thing still?) with the light and the timer and try the options until we I found which I needed.

For the price might be worth trying one of these adapter kits..

Sorry for the slow reply all and thanks for the input. Turns out I'm extremely stupid and I just needed to ram the connector in harder...it works!

Last edited:
Still be interested to know what you think of the Twinstar 60B over your new tank once its populated.

Back