• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

Hi guys
I just wanted to report something. As I live in Congo we have a lot of power problems. I wanted to let you know that if the power goes off you need to restart and select again the mode you are using.
So it doesn't comeback on itself

Cheers

Yes you have to press the button again 2 or 3 times, depending on your setting

Well done...apparently it works like this...

"The killing apparatus 111 may perform a sterilizing operation by doing following two actions.
First, as a direct action, the killing apparatus 111 destroys cell membranes of a microscopic organism such as germ by means of an electrical potential difference between the interior and the exterior of their cell membranes, by applying voltage to the microscopic organism.
Second, as an indirect action, the killing apparatus 111 generates radical and sterilizes the fish tank by means of the radical.
In addition, the killing apparatus 111 may assist the growth of water plants in the fish tank. That is, positive ions such as Ca+2, K+, Mg+2, Fe+2, Zn+2, and/or Na+ are activated in water by the killing apparatus 111, thereby contributing to the growth of the water plants."

Knowing how they are meant to work now, I wouldn't put one of these "killing apparatus" in any of my tanks even if I got one for free tbh. A device that destroys the cell membranes of microbes " such as germ"? What about the beneficial microbes that improve the aquarium environment for the plants and livestock - is it worth killing these too?

I don't use gultaraldehyde for similar reasons, but at least glute has a quantifiable beneficial effect on plant growth by providing carbon.

I'd be interested to find out more info behind the supposed beneficial effect of the positive ions on plant growth though. In an aquarium following EI dosing principles where everything is in excess already, I don't know if ionising already plentiful nutrients would be beneficial for the plants or not. Googling required! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...snap, crackle n pop! to be honest I'd love to drop one into my tank just for the mysterious mist, I could do a Kinder Scout scape

One week twin star is in the tank. For now no result on brown algae (diatom) still growing and covering plants and hardscape.
I need maybe improvement in placement or some thing else for better results ?!
Nothing special to report :(

I need maybe improvement in placement or some thing else for better results ?!
Or sort out your CO2, reduce the lighting and get the flow and ferts right ;)

Thanks to Victor for the long posts.

But I'm not sure what one can make out of all that. I'm talking about common sense. Three things:

1.Here I read about algae in ADA's tanks. All kinds of algae - not just BBA, Cladophora, and spot algae. I barely have time to take care of my 4 tanks but for years I have not had any problems with anything else other than Cladophora. Any time I change anything in my tanks all algae except Clado are not a problem to get rid of. What am I not understanding here?

2. I have had a few tanks in which gross lack of maintenance has not lead to any algae or plant growth issues for months. None. And these are tanks that I have let evaporate 25-30%! High light, CO2, no ferts. So ultra-stable tanks are possible. Again, what am I missing?

3. Twinstar does seem to work. But why go after symptoms instead of solving the underlying problems?

But why go after symptoms instead of solving the underlying problems?

Because 99.999% of the people who would buy these things are also the people who tend to be least interested in the details of maintaining an aquarium. The vast majority of aquarium keepers aren't like us. They want easy, simple, plug-and-play instructions on how to keep a pretty tank with minimum effort. If the aquarium industry had to depend solely on informed and interested hobbyists such as us every manufacturer would go out of business. Except perhaps the ones who make tanks, lights, filters, and maybe CO2 hardware.

We are by far the minority when it comes to the aquarium keeping populace.

Ok another thing to share.

In our first test we used the device in an aquarium where the stones not raise the water hardness (Fossilized wood)

The second test is happening in a Seiryu packed aquarium where almost 40-50kg stones are there.
Earlier i worried that the gas errode the stones. That is not happening on the other stones so maybe the one which has a light white patch now had an issue originally.

But! The calcium stuck in the diffuser plate in patches. Not sure of this will close down the mesh fully, but this is there in small patches.
I had contacted with Twinstar and they mentioned that they already fixed the issue and the new devices will hit Europe around this time.
But the old model has this issue with the mesh plate.

Twinstar also mentioned that the Calcium covered diffusers can be cleaned with a cleaning solution.
So if you face with this issue it's possible to clean. They told me too, that i can leave the unit in our Seiryu scape as it is possible to clean.

On our unit i do not see problems with the diffusion yet, but as it gets clogged maybe you will realize this on the performance.

Anyway it's good to know. Keep in mind guys. The new unit will come to europe shortly.

ps: Twinstar working nicely in our Seiryu scape. I try to share the images next week sometime.
But as i thought depend on your setup (crowded tank, high builds, flow) the unit helps you quicker or slower.

Hi,

I also have this issue with twinstar in my seiryu scape.

I bought 2 twinstar nano for my 400 L tank and one has the issue the other not so I gess that I got one new kind and one old kind.

Here you can see my problem from two sides :

20140314_180128.jpg

20140314_180108.jpg

This Twinstar is starting to work quite bad with fewer and fewer bubles.

I tought about vinegar to clean it but I'm afraid to hurt it.

Any ideas on what to do ?

So I gess I wont use peroxide :D

As it should be a kind of limestone, I gess I could use some kind of soft acid like vinegar but I'm afraid to break it like you did :arghh:

I asked the same question to Twinstar at sale@twinstar.kr.

Not sure to have an answer from them but I'll wait a litle before to try anything.

And I gess I can use weak citric acid solution that's right. I'll probably start with a 10% dilution if I try this method.

Just read the bulk of this thread, great that we have finally have an answer as to what this does. I saw one for the first time in my local lfs yesterday and my first thought was electrolysis. It seems the ozone idea was remarkably close, but oxygen free radicals were the panacea instead.

The patent suggests the current passes through the entire tank, which would fit with the rapid tank wide sterilisation data company have put out. But the question is what kind of currents are going through and how is this affecting lifestock?
I'm still intrigues by this as it does make sense that it would have all of the effects the company stated. I' m surprised there are no stories of people using it in brackish or marine tanks. Electrolysis of brine gives chlorine gas instead of oxygen!!!!

Back