• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

You can switch between TS nd Chihiro mesh with no problem. Last generation plates are more stable and last longer!
I, ve used the reactor inline, it works but was one more stage to pipe work...
Now i'm using inside a liberty filter, that i use as garbage colector ( with surface skimmer).
Inside of eheim filter is out of view, stays clean for... never cleaned).
I realy enjoy having less gear inside the tank, easy to clean and better for my view!
cheers

They sure are. I'm now using a 3rd generation Chihiros reactor

Tim where did you get your Chihiros reactor from? My TwinStar reactor is over a year old and is not working as good. I did pick up a Chihiros Doctor II (No Clean) Algae Inhibitor Steriliser from hinterfeld in clearance sales but the reactor only lasted about 3months, was great whilst it worked

Sounds interesting, how do you use it inline or in a filter, can you post pics or a simple diagram?
Yes, no problem!
Sorry for the bad phone quality pic's.
This is how i'm using now, simpla as that!
25611542167_8dda787cfa_b.jpg

This was the previous version:
38672046790_b0efa816ab_b.jpg

38672047380_1407014e9a_b.jpg

I used a sand filter. You can drill an extra hole for the cable, or use a T in the one of the holes.
Cheers

Yes that is a problem, odd that the business isn't geared up to providing easy access to relatively cheap replacement parts.
Chihiros won't be complaining though, they've slipped in and filled the gaps neglected by TwinStar.

There is a reason why Twinstar reactors cost more. The reactor from the copy brand uses low quality materials on the mesh, so they are dark not silver as Twinstar. The materials used on the Twinstar's mesh are safe.

Do not use Twinstar in the filter.

Increasing oxygen levels, a little dose of hydrogen to kill cellular algae in the column and the possibility of increasing co2 by increasing o2>filter production>more co2 and these guys claiming it increases root development and plant yields (In terrestrial plants anyway)I suppose the claims they are beneficial to a planted tank do have some weight.

Also tip for cleaning is to soak in muriatic acid, whatever that is.

FYI

Twinstar inhibits green algae due to free radicals not o2 or Hydrogen. There is no way to measure it, it's gone before you try.

Like taking some water to the shop to measure co2

Can you elaborate what you mean by the mesh on the Twinstar being "safe"?

Interesting to know about the free radicals I'm not going to pretend I'm at that level of science. I like to try but more of a plant grower. understanding the plants needs rather than how it breaks down atomically. I know they need nitrogen because they feed off it and know when they haven't got enough but as for why that element in particular, that's above my pay grade
I was more interested in the o2 side of things and how the unit is far more effective at raising oxygen levels and cleaner than an air stone. I just assumed the hydrogen would be responsible for the reaction that destroyed algae cells as I'm aware people use hydrogen peroxide for killing algae in much the same way as UV sterilisers or ozone reactors create an unstable element.

Having said that I also had a little read up on hydroxyl radical HO. Which can be created using an electrical discharge but to be fair that research was just from the university of Google and could be totally unrelated.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
There is a reason why Twinstar reactors cost more.
Twinstar inhibits green algae due to free radicals not o2 or Hydrogen.
It is earlier <"in this thread">. If it does work the important bit is the nano bubble generation and the nature of the anode/cathode.

This is from: Patent US6689262 <Patent US6689262 - Microbubbles of oxygen - Google Patent>
.....An oxygen emitter which is an electrolytic cell is disclosed. When the anode and cathode are separated by a critical distance, very small microbubbles and nanobubbles of oxygen are generated. The hydrogen forms bubbles at the cathode, which bubbles rise to the surface. The very small oxygen bubbles remain in suspension, forming a solution supersaturated in oxygen.....
.........The electrodes may be formed into open grids or may be closed surfaces. The most preferred cathode is a stainless steel mesh. ....... The most preferred anode is platinum and iridium oxide on a support. A preferred support is titanium.
cheers Darrel

Here is a better picture of the 'Eheim filter' with my system.
Nothing special, but very efective if you don't like the 'white look' of the gear and you're lazy as me (and like to clean reactor's, from never to never).

39785987814_24e82d39c4_b.jpg

I use Eheim Liberty, changed as a skimmer, to get leaves and floating stuff inside a container.
Also help's to keep the Co2 levels consistent (below certain point) and can help water surface with some agitation.
All these have to be tuned from layout to layout. (there are other ways to do this, this is just the one that fell's better to me, for now...).

Do not use this stuff in main filter, that could have side effects. I have other biological filter in this layout.
If your goal is to have just one filter, then the inline solution (after the filter) could be better.

To have a clue about the quality of materials (reactor) in each brand and version, a blind test would be the only way to tell for sure.
The first versions were really bad, and didn't last long. The actual mesh's are much more stable and last longer.
I have both and i can´t say which one last more or is better...for my 'subjective' use the result is much the same...
I leave that for the hobby people to judge.

I continue to see benefit's in using the technology (branded or DIY), small benefit's but they are there.
Hope it help's,
cheers

If a lot of you are using chihiros reactors now, does using the twinstar brain make it any better than just buying the chihiros doctor kit instead?

If a lot of you are using chihiros reactors now, does using the twinstar brain make it any better than just buying the chihiros doctor kit instead?
Ain't that the million dollar question. They all appear on face value to be incorporating the same basic technology. What appears to be the differentiator is the quality of the products and the so called "algorithm" of the burst which each manufacturer seems to be claiming does make a difference and is possibly patented although due to a lack of scientific data to back up these claims on the grounds of them not revealing their secrets which could be copied then you have to go with your instinct on this one I guess.

Does the Twinstar offer up something that you think is worth 3x the price of cheaper units? I couldn't tell you. In my case I only believe all these things only offer a slightly better environment which could be replicated by changing water more often so was worth a punt at the cheaper prices. Not sure if I'd have paid the TS prices. Unless of course it was the only option, was flush and fancied treating myself.

Ain't that the million dollar question. They all appear on face value to be incorporating the same basic technology. What appears to be the differentiator is the quality of the products and the so called "algorithm" of the burst which each manufacturer seems to be claiming does make a difference and is possibly patented although due to a lack of scientific data to back up these claims on the grounds of them not revealing their secrets which could be copied then you have to go with your instinct on this one I guess.

Does the Twinstar offer up something that you think is worth 3x the price of cheaper units? I couldn't tell you. In my case I only believe all these things only offer a slightly better environment which could be replicated by changing water more often so was worth a punt at the cheaper prices. Not sure if I'd have paid the TS prices. Unless of course it was the only option, was flush and fancied treating myself.

Read through most of this thread and that seems to sum it up pretty well, without proof then the manufacturers can make any claim they want but can't back it up other than saying look at this nice tank.... See it works

Worst case it's a fancy air stone without the need for a noisy air pump, best case it helps keep your tank that bit cleaner

It says its on a timer that reacts to the environent of the tank, how have people found it during co2 periods?

Does it react to the environment? I thought you just set the burst and duration based on the tank size. Not sure about that one.

It is a bit bizarre that the manufacturers of these items don't try and back it up with some data. All that does is build suspicion IMO. I'm not overly convinced of the algae/disease spore killing properties although based on some data provided earlier in the post to do with a device like this being used for sterilising water and a rough idea of what's going on I wouldn't say it wasn't out of the question.

The video posted earlier does have some university backed studies showing that it increase dissolved 02 in water 50% more than an air stone using less power and not sucking in contaminants from the air is enough to convince me it's better than an air stone. Saying that it doesn't cost much more than a decent air pump, non return valve and stone I think it's worth investing in.

That's what it says in the marketing blurb, hence me asking, it talks about there being fancy algorithms but if you use default settings for tank size and it always gives off the same duration and intervals then I'm not sure where the intelligent brain comes into it, but maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically...

That's exactly why I'm looking at it, I want something to off gas co2 outside of my lighting period so kill 2 birds so to speak

From what I understand (which is little). It won't be effective at out gassing co2. An air stone would actually better at that I would say. These things create very little surface agitation.

For me using the Chihiros reactor with the Twinstar brain was just a matter of cold hard economics.
I'd read on this thread that a couple of folk were doing the same thing, and at a quarter of the price I was willing to take a punt that it'd work.
If it didn't and I'd have to buy the Chihiros brain as well...well it'd still work out cheaper than a single Twinstar reactor.
From what I can tell, manufacturers claims or not, they both do the same job to a similar standard.

IMO if Twinstar want to make their product stand out from the rest and prestige price it then they need to put something out there that tells you why. Failing that I can't see any reason either. If I was buying a £100 filter and two were consuming same power with similar turnover and easy maintenance but one was £70 they get my money, that's how market forces work.

Back