• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

Ok got some additional info on this from Twinstar

"The product is need to maintenace if cable and case be polluted by algea. You product is old version, we change product design and to protect mesh from Ca+. I will give you infromation with picture.
This product has life span. Life span is over 6 month like UV lamp. It normally use 12 month but we guarantee 6 months"

So the diffusers / electrode parts need to be replaced timely. Dave also mentioned this to me in Japan. He also recommended 12 month approx.

Found this on one of the forums:

Q1. It's ozone generator?

It is not ozonizer. If you want to test, please smell it when TWINSTAR is operating in aqarium.
There is nothing to smell.

Q2. tell me how exactly does it work,I have M1 turned on and there is a cloud dust for about 1min. and then it stop completely?

One min is normal operation and operating algorithm is not fixed for 1 step to 3 step.

We designed that the product is being changed to operate interval at generating bubble
beause condition of occuring algae is different after setting aquarium.

What do you mean that cloud dust is bubble ?
If so, Clould dust is 99.9% of exygen.

Difference between M1 and M2 is capacity.
Capacity of M1 is for about 45cube, and M2 is 200L.

Basically, there are a lot of environments of aquarium that are varied depending on the users and also there are many reasons why Green algae occurs.
Before going into the details, it is necessary to understand why the Green algae occur in the aquarium. Green algae are excessive carbon dioxide (CO2) that artificially supply fertilizer ingredient including surplus nitrogen, phosphorus from soil and light. This serves as a supplier who makes the environment for algae to occur. Consumer will be water plant and green algae.
If water plant absorbs provided nourishment 100%, it will be the most idealistic environment where the Green algae don’t occur.
If you look at the initial environment after setting aquarium, water plants a bit slowly take root in the ground after planting rather than growing actively and then absorb the nutrient. However, initially nitrogen and phosphorus in soil are the most and they will be released excessively into the water.
Although there are a lot of nutrients, the amount of waterweed’s nutrient absorption are not enough. For that reason, Green algae occur. (If you provide strong lights and enough CO2 from the beginning, Heir green algae may appear before and after 15 days. Heir green algae occur when nutrients are abundant.) At this point, experienced aquarists normally increase water changing amount to keep the balance, or reduce lights, or try to prevent Green algae by putting Yamato shrimp, dozens of fish which eat Green algae.
Even if new water plants seem clean with your bare eyes, you can’t see the minute green algae attached on water plants. Therefore, we recommend putting some Yamato shrimp to prevent their growing. With only ‘TWINSTAR’, you cannot remove the green algae.
With enough light and nutrient, and CO2, water plants can take roots in 45 days and fully grow (demand increase period). Along with the growth of water plant, nitrogen and phosphorus from soil will be run low. If you plant a number of Stem plant, aquarium environment will start to change from 60 to 90 days. The biggest change is a lack of nitrogen and phosphorus. When nitrogen and phosphorus run short, Green algae will grow on a glass wall of aquarium. In case of a lack of light, Brown algae might grow usually.
As mentioned above, environments of aquarium continue to change, and coping methods should be varied with them.
Lastly, depending on the kind of water plants nutrients, speed and amount of nutrient uptake rate are different. Hemianthus callitrichoides “Cuba” grow slowly and nutrient absorption is very low. However, Glossostigma elatinoioles absorb a lot of nutrients and grow quickly. If you plant both two water plants in the same condition, Green algae will grow more in Cuba planted aquarium.
Like IWAGUMY, if a lot of CUBA is planted with lots of stones layout, it will become Hard water with water pH. Consumer cannot do its role, so green algae will be likely to grow more and more.
In conclusion, the effect of TWINSTAR depends on which water plants you plant and how to manage them. In case of 90cmX45cmX45cm size water tank, we recommend putting 3 Yamato Shrimp and 3 fish which eat green algae because they will act as the buffer in various conditions to maintain a constant effect.
Judging from that you didn’t mention about the effect of Heir green algae, we think that you didn’t test Twinstar with new setting. Also you didn’t mention Growth of plant, so please try to set again and check.
For your reference, you cannot expect the effect of Growth of plant from the aquarium over 30days. It is related to Law of minimum or Liebig’s law.
TWINSTAR mini has 1 operating mode, it is designed 90~120L size fish tank to prevent green algae from occurring in waterplant. TWINSTAR NANO model has 2 operating modes, Mode 1 is for 90~120L size, Mode2 is for 180~240L size. Super S is designed to keep aquarium fish from disease and it can prevent any diseases of fish in 300L~400L size aquarium. Mini S is the purpose of disease prevention in 120L aquarium.
Plus we attached bloggers’ review from their blog so please refer to it.

Effect on kind of algae
- Hair/Thread algae : 95%
- Brown Algae : 90%
- Blue green : 80%
- Fuzz algae : 80%
- Green Dust algae :80%
- Green spot : 85%
No effect
- Black brush / Beard

Regards
Lukasz

Odd their take on light, nutrients and co2 as the reason for algae.

If this is not an ozone generator, then it looks like another gimmick. Micro bubbles? Use a high powered pump to push bubbles through an atomic ceramic diffuser.

12 days result....

Today we reached the 12 days operation. It is strage that almost ALL algae disappeared from the tank, but we had a little bacterial film on the glass (like with new tanks) and some green algae. On the plants and the decor just the opposite.

I did a regular weekly water change and cleaned the glass. Last week i sucked down the BGA and looks like this is not coming back. So its better in prevention then attack with BGA.

Where we started and how this looks now.

Start 12 days before. Algae on the parvula. Algae on the tenellus. Green algae on the dragon stone. BGA on the left side of the floating HC carpet.

10579698886_25002a598d_b.jpg
Twinstar Nano by viktorlantos, on Flickr

10579698236_ca19de208d_b.jpg
Twinstar Nano by viktorlantos, on Flickr

Only 1 week later. Water bcome crystal clear. Most of the algae is disappearing from the carpet and the tenellus. Stems growing quicker. Than usual.

10713418593_aa6228e729_b.jpg
Twinstar after 1st week by viktorlantos, on Flickr

10713417033_6b81966263_b.jpg
Twinstar after 1st week by viktorlantos, on Flickr

This is how it looks now after 12 days. Check the tenellus, the parvula the background stems growth rate. BGA is not coming back but still there'S a little below the HC carpet.

Dragon stones looks like new! :) Even in the holes no algae at all!

10824862976_1baae08da4_b.jpg
Twinstar after 12 days of operation. by viktorlantos, on Flickr

Just like previous posts the diffuser, tubing gets algae like before. You need to do water change this stuff will not solve it for you. Twinstar get less algae than diffuser, but slowly get some especially on the case not the mesh.

I not used any Easy Carbo, H2O2, Algexit and other algecid. Not removed any algae by hose, brush.

Used Brigthy K and Step 2 daily 10-10ml. And dosed ECA every other day. 20 drops.

2 water changes in the past 12 days 30-40% avg with pure RO and used Salty Shrimp GH booster like before to reach 120-140ppm.

I think 3 things which was a nice effect for me.

1.The stones get cleaned. It's so hard to clean these damn stones. If you brush it this fall apart.
2.The water become clear. Cloud disappeared.
3. I did not had to trim down the bushy plants what i would do usually with this much infection. So the 2-3 month old bushy tennelus survived without loosing a single leaf which is a nice thing

I think 3 things which was a nice effect for me.

1.The stones get cleaned. It's so hard to clean these damn stones. If you brush it this fall apart.
2.The water become clear. Cloud disappeared.
3. I did not had to trim down the bushy plants what i would do usually with this much infection. So the 2-3 month old bushy tennelus survived without loosing a single leaf which is a nice thing
Hi Viktor

problem is with all this is that you are already an awesome scaper and there are many factors that are contributing to the success in this tank.

so it's a bit like the "stone" soup story...how could a soup made from a stone taste so good?

so it's a bit like the "stone" soup story...how could a soup made from a stone taste so good?

It's true. I am learning to be a chef :) Still far to be Jamie Oliver though :)

But the product not promising for you that you can do soup with almost any ingredients.
This state that you need to use the necessary ingredients, but if you do so the cooking will be a little more fun than usual :)

To test it with an expert is a good idea actually. As we all know how much time an algae need to cure. What to use etc. How the plant growth in average in that specific tank. So there are many advantage if a pro test a kit like this.

I would not like to defend the product. I am not the owner, inventor etc. Just shared it as the first demo in a matured tank had a visible effect.

But it is important that the product not promise miracle. You still need your filter, light, CO2, cleaning crew, fertilizers, water changes and a good balance in your environment.
But there are still many factors which plays when you're on the right way.

Maybe just a pinch of salt missed from the whole soup to be perfect. Who knows :)

Why is it that every nation is far better at poetical analogies than we are here in good ol' blighty?:rolleyes: Viktor I've no idea how good you are as a cook but you seem to know your way around a planted tank so your observations are very persuasive:cool: ...but I'd still like some more scientific background before I take the plunge and buy one...if only for novelty value:)

I was interested to see if it was cheapskate to buy aboard, which it is, and notice one of their Singapore distributor are selling a fifth model call SHIMP. Which like the s model supposedly prevents disease and survival rate of shrimp but for large tanks 120l. Given how precious some of these little critters are it could be one to consider. That is of cause if it dose what it says it dose.

There quite a lot of scepticism given one body knows how it works, but viktor seems to be suggesting the nano model does what it says on the tin, so am considering, the only thing that's preventing me getting one is the cost and availability of replacement mesh plate. There doesn't seem to be any information regarding this anywhere. Wouldn't want to have to replace the whole devise each year.

Quite excited to try mine after Viktors posts. Got it lying around in the box for couple months already :facepalm:
OK, so Twinstar sent it to a few scapers? Good idea to try product in a professional way..

There are a couple of things to ask, especially regarding replacement parts.. how easy are to get them?

OK, so Twinstar sent it to a few scapers? Good idea to try product in a professional way..

There are a couple of things to ask, especially regarding replacement parts.. how easy are to get them?

Easy to change the diffuser. Unplug the jack from the ic module and thats it. I tried another test today and faced with an interesting issue after a few hours. Seiryu looked like i would drop acid on it

Easy to change the diffuser. Unplug the jack from the ic module and thats it. I tried another test today and faced with an interesting issue after a few hours. Seiryu looked like i would drop acid on it
Do you mean the seiryu was bubbling in the tank?! That doesn't sound good if so...

Do you mean the seiryu was bubbling in the tank?! That doesn't sound good if so...

Not bubbling but seems like next to the device a small white patch appeared on the stone will show a photo later today.

2ymaseme.jpg

Back