• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

Yeah good question, was wondering the same.. I guess it's too early to tell with this product being so new on the market and still being tested..

Yeah, when I contacted Twinstar about this they said...

''You can use it from 9 month to 14 months. It depends on your aquarium condition and if you maintain it regularly or not. We are still using it for more than 20 month.''

I presume you only know you need a replacement when you start seeing algae or does the diffuser simply stop spraying?

Ok, I'm going to bite the bullet.

I'm wondering if I should buy the mini (Tank size: 60cm X 35cm X 30. Capacity: up to 90L(Liter) which is listed as being the correct size for my tank (ADA 60P) or the Nano which is for a bigger tank (90cm X 45cm X 45cm, 120cm X 45cm X 45cm . Capacity: up to 250L(Liter)?

Is there any harm in buying the bigger one? It's in stock and cheaper.

Hello jame's

Ok, I'm going to bite the bullet.

I'm wondering if I should buy the mini (Tank size: 60cm X 35cm X 30. Capacity: up to 90L(Liter) which is listed as being the correct size for my tank (ADA 60P) or the Nano which is for a bigger tank (90cm X 45cm X 45cm, 120cm X 45cm X 45cm . Capacity: up to 250L(Liter)?

Is there any harm in buying the bigger one? It's in stock and cheaper.

Shouldn't be there are two mode on the nano, one for small tank and for large tanks...

Get the Nano James and use on mode 1 ;)

It's the cheapest unit anyway now it seems!

Hi all,
I presume you only know you need a replacement when you start seeing algae or does the diffuser simply stop spraying?
It is somewhere earlier in the thread (just found it, page 9.), but I think the problem would be that the platinum/iridium (or similar) electrode (anode) will erode in use. Presumably you could increase their life time by having larger electrodes, but that would add more initial cost.
If you look at patent US6689262 it says:
Microbubbles of oxygen.......When the anode and cathode are separated by a critical distance, very small microbubbles and nanobubbles of oxygen are generated. ....... The very small oxygen bubbles remain in suspension, forming a solution supersaturated in oxygen. The electrodes may be a metal or oxide of at least one metal selected from the group consisting of ruthenium, iridium, nickel, iron, rhodium, rhenium, cobalt, tungsten, manganese, tantalum, molybdenum, lead, titanium, platinum, palladium and osmium or oxides thereof. The electrodes may be formed into open grids or may be closed surfaces. The most preferred cathode is a stainless steel mesh. The most preferred mesh is a {fraction (1/16)} inch grid. The most preferred anode is platinum and iridium oxide on a support. .......
cheers Darrel

...I'm stunned how quickly people part with cash! I'd throw one in my tank for free to see what would happen, but that's the stage I'm at with this product...

all reports and tests seem favourable.. once a success prices are bound to escalate and there are some good deals going at the moment as this product gets established :), no point throwing just one into a 750L+ in my case, but take your point.

I wonder why that is Darrel? In every aspect of things I do in my lifestyle that involve change you always find people who just deny that something new and good could come along and make a positive difference. Each to their own though, I've no issues with anyone's own views.

Money wise I certainly think it's a fair amount of money to spend even at the reduced prices, but I've spent more on one night benders before now with nothing more to show for it than some dodgy memories and a super thick head the day after :)

I don't want one partly because nobody seems to know for sure how they work, and even if the current theories are correct, I don't think the benefits outweigh the aesthetic costs of having the relatively ugly (IMO) piece of kit in-tank, let alone the monetary costs. The only thing that does make me want to buy it is the shiny white, blue-glowing external part of the unit, just because I love shiny glowing things :D.

Mainly though, part of me is saying "if whatever is in that mist is bad for algae, it cant be good for beneficial microorganisms either". I'm also concerned about long-term accumulative effects of daily mistings on the fish and shrimp. Also I like algae on rocks, just not on the glass or plants lol. However I'm following this thread with great interest hoping for more info, will be very interesting to see if this system stands the test of time, or is just a current fad!

I don't want one partly because nobody seems to know for sure how they work, and even if the current theories are correct, I don't think the benefits outweigh the aesthetic costs of having the relatively ugly (IMO) piece of kit in-tank, let alone the monetary costs. The only thing that does make me want to buy it is the shiny white, blue-glowing external part of the unit, just because I love shiny glowing things :D.

!

I think the same kind of thing was said when the first mobile phone came out and the toaster come to think of it ;)

Time will tell ....

And just think those mobile phones give you tumours...

I'm also still sitting on the fence with these, fair do's if people want them, it's their money. Just think you could rescape a tank for the money.

I want to buy one. Anyone know if theres a good offer going on for the Nano ? The shop needs to do international delivery as Im in India

Hi all,
I wonder why that is Darrel? In every aspect of things I do in my lifestyle that involve change you always find people who just deny that something new and good could come along and make a positive difference. Each to their own though, I've no issues with anyone's own views.
I'd be the first to admit that I have a bit of a sceptical and "folk-singer" attitude towards new technology, but it really I think that that isn't the case in this example.
Also I like algae on rocks,
Same for me, I'm not an aquascaper and I'm not looking for an algae free tank, in fact quite the opposite I welcome some "periphyton" too. Having said that I would suspect that my tanks are pretty algae free compared to many others, and in some cases even with a low power microscope it is difficult to find much algae. I want stable long term set ups, and I'm pretty sure because of this I don't see BGA or Diatoms, (although they are there as epiphytes among the algal thread "stubble"). I think I would always have some BBA, but usually only on hard-scape surfaces that the snails can't get at. Stagshorn I've had once or twice, and I would associate this with organic pollution events.

The next question would be "how does it work"? and I think the jury must still be out on that, even if it does produce nano-bubbles. If you look at the images earlier in the thread you can see at least 2 types of green algae actually growing on the unit.
9287587372_2cf785daf2.jpg

If it is an oxidator, we've been down that route before, and there are much easier ways of ensuring oxygenation. I would still be very, very surprised if these are a long term addition to the hobby.

cheers Darrel

Ive managed to find a shop in HK that will ship. Now what about the other fish and shrimp models ? How are they producing different bubbles ?

Back