• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinststar 600S, enough or not?

AquaJoe69

I've recently set up a tank with 70x50x40 (140L) cm dimensions and starting to feel that the current lighting isn't enough. The biggest concern is the depth of the aquarium, since it's halv meter deep. I use co2 EI, soil and plant from medium high to low. The length is a bit odd as well since no LEDs (that I could find) are 70cm, either 60 or 80.
Since it is just one month old scape I haven't had any issues yet.
What do you guys think, any recommendations?

That is a powerful light, and will be enough for almost all the plants I can think of, despite the tank depth, and the fact that its 5cm at each end shorter than the tank.

I have the 900sa on my 90cmx55wx53d, my issue wasn't the depth but the width.. I have a baby tears carpet and having the light in the middle of the tank didn't have the coverage. I was constantly moving the light through the day to ensure coverage was good all around the tank.
I have since added my old fluval plant 3.0 for the back half and the difference is amazing. I can keep the twinstar focused above my 'hard plants' and the fore/midground whilst the fluval gives good coverage for the background. Plants have since exploded with growth and the tank looks much brighter/ colourful all around.
Luckily I had a spare light, otherwise if money was no object, I'd get another twinstar personally.

I've recently set up a tank with 70x50x40 (140L) cm dimensions and starting to feel that the current lighting isn't enough. The biggest concern is the depth of the aquarium, since it's halv meter deep. I use co2 EI, soil and plant from medium high to low. The length is a bit odd as well since no LEDs (that I could find) are 70cm, either 60 or 80.
Since it is just one month old scape I haven't had any issues yet.
What do you guys think, any recommendations?
As mentioned, quantity isn't an issue. Spread might be.
Raising it a tad might help, at the cost of some par at the bottom.
Not sure if it is necessary though. Probably not worth the hassle.

Just tested my Twinstar 600S using an Apogee MQ-510 on my 60-P. I was going to make a fancy chart, but the density of plants in my tank aren't ideal for consistent depth measurements... so this is what I can give you.

The fixture has fixed legs, meaning the minimum distance to water is 4". All measurements are from the bottom of the LED array to the top of the submerged sensor.

100% power, 0" from fixture's midline:

4" depth: 300PAR
10" depth: 160PAR
15" depth (38cm) : 125PAR

100% power, 5.5" from fixture's midline (ie- front edge of tank):

4" depth: 70PAR
10" depth: 150PAR
15" depth: 125PAR,,,,,,,,,,, The fixture has fixed legs, meaning the minimum distance to water is 4" (10CM). All measurements are from the bottom of the LED array to the top of the submerged sensor.
19.6 + 4 - inches of substrate would be your depth but minus the sensor height.
I'd guess 25" +/- a bit (63.5cm light head to substrate)
And I'd guess > 50PAR for your tank at the bottom.
Fair amount of light..

Back