• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

twisted pipes

James Flexton

ok so in my haste to set up my tank ive twisted the pipes.

i have clear ada tubing going to the lily pipes, i fitted the tube to the filter first then to the glasswear however i have somehow fitted them off centre. hard to describe but at rest the pipes are 90 degrees to the position they should be in. i have to twist them to put in tank and they dont sit correctly but have a clockwise direction pressure trying to straighten themselves up .

if that makes any sense at all is there any tricks of the trade i can use to sort this out. i dont fancy trying to pull the pipes off the glasswear and havent got enough pipe to cut it off and start again

Think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and remove them from the pipes, a hairdryer might help. :)

Hot water always does the trick for me, get the pipes nice and plyable. I sometimes use a saucepan of water on a camping stove as by the time I've got from the kitchen to the tank the pipes have cooled. health and safety= make sure there's no kids or pets around if you do this.

+1 for hot water

cheers guys,
hot water would work but i made the pipes so tight and perfectly fitted to the tank, through the hole in the cabinet etc i cant actually get hot water to them. if i could lift them out and dunk them that would work fine.
however i managed to re do it from scratch, i had just enough length in the offcuts to re do the pipes, i submerged them in boiling water this time BEFORE connecting them to the glasswear. two peices of nice straight pipe and bobs your uncle 2 hours later...all sorted.

thanks for the input.

I tried everything mentioned... but I finally broke my glass intake pipe. Really looking forward to seeing the classic green Eheim intake and outtake but in clear plastic. Robust and probably much cheaper. No need of going acrylic, just clear pvc

The trick is to pick the edge of the pipe as you poor water over it so it gets between the Lillie and the tube works everytime for me and I'm heavy handed. One you have softened you can carefully slide a cotton bud tube under the pipe as you poor hot water then just twist the tube off:) having ehiem taps all over our set up does help too as I can remove bits at a time.[DOUBLEPOST=1408631243][/DOUBLEPOST]Parotet Why not make your own, I did before getting all tarty and having to have glass for that minimal look. There's a thread somewhere on here someone's done.

Last edited:
Parotet Why not make your own, I did before getting all tarty and having to have glass for that minimal look. There's a thread somewhere on here someone's done.
Yes, I should try... I read somewhere that I can be done filling PVC tubing with salt or sand and bending it over a candle flame. What really amazes me is why Eheim keeps on doing such a great material in such a horrible colour :(

Jordi

Back