• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twitchy Agro Corey!

brokeLad

Evening all, I have 4 Julii Corey’s in a 140l tank no other fish at present. Had them about 3 weeks and they are stressing me out! I want a chilled scape but one of the Coreys keeps hassling the others....it seems to go twitchy and push up against the others.....is it sex business?? I have a short film of what goes on but I can’t upload unfortunately. I welcome your welcome your wise words. Cheers

Sounds like it. The males will swim next to the female to encourage her to spawn. A "T" shape formation will take place and then the famale will deposit the eggs .

4 not a huge number a larger group would settle em. They are sociable and like to be kept in numbers

Hopefully this link to vid on YouTube will work?

It’s a male trying his luck lol. Looks as if you have two males and two females. The smaller two doing the flaring are males. I wouldn’t worry about it. My male corydoras do it all the time, the females just ignore them as your two are doing. Can’t blame them for trying though ha!

If you do a large cool water change it can get the females in the food. Plenty of food like blackworms will also help.

cheers

Conor

Reactions: 91
Cheers for reply guys........so sex it is then! Will this continue indefinitely or until the females play ball?

Spawning begins with increased activity, where the males begin actively pursuing the females.
Once a female accepts a male the male will fertilize the eggs and she will deposit them.
And then the beahviour will die down until next time there's a egg heavy female in the tank.

Adult julii corys do not guard or care for the eggs once they have been laid. If left in the spawning tank, the parents will consume the eggs.

Cheers for reply guys........so sex it is then! Will this continue indefinitely or until the females play ball?
All depends, my gold laser corydoras do this all the time and I’ve yet to see any eggs. However I’ve had species in the past which would spawn after every water change. I believe corydoras trilineatus are one of the easier species to spawn so you may get lucky.

cheers

Conor

Back