• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

two or four? (T5)

Nick16

hi, its all change now, my tank is going to be 4ft (length) but it will be 2ft deep. i will have a total of about 415L (after decor and substrate)
i guess i will have to have the 4xT5's then?

my question is, will 2 on there own be not enough? (just over 1WPG)
will 4 on there own be too much? (i will have just over 2WPG)

my lights will be on a timer, as im out at school during the day, but there is only one plug on these lights, so if i have it on the timer, i either have them all on or only two... i could have just the two on and switch the others on when i get home but im not always home after school and then il forget and i will have large swings in the wattage and times of my lighting. = not good.

so what can you guys recommend... just two, or all four? (bare in mind my tank is 2ft deep)

Nick16 said:
hi, its all change now, my tank is going to be 4ft (length) but it will be 2ft deep. i will have a total of about 415L (after decor and substrate)

my lights will be on a timer, as im out at school during the day, but there is only one plug on these lights, so if i have it on the timer, i either have them all on or only two... i could have just the two on and switch the others on when i get home but im not always home after school and then il forget and i will have large swings in the wattage and times of my lighting. = not good.

so what can you guys recommend... just two, or all four? (bare in mind my tank is 2ft deep)

Nick

If it were me - go for 4 and alter your timings to suit when you are in. My hood has twin switches + leads and come on @ 16:00 @ 2 tubes and @ 18:00 the other 2 tubes come on and off @ 20:00 just leaving 2 tubes on and off @ 23:00. If I had to do it manually I would do the above timings

Regards
paul.

depends what scape you are setting up really.

The recent tests on barrreport are showing that 1 x full length T5HO are delivering the same PAR as the ADA Iwagumis are using!!! 50PAr at substrate 150 at the surface.

2 T5HO from other tests show 100/300 so double the single one and this was over a well planted tank.

I think you could get away with 2 over any type of scape even at 2ft. If not you can always turn the other 2 on.

AC

Flyfisherman said:
Nick16 said:

Nick

If it were me - go for 4 and alter your timings to suit when you are in. My hood has twin switches + leads and come on @ 16:00 @ 2 tubes and @ 18:00 the other 2 tubes come on and off @ 20:00 just leaving 2 tubes on and off @ 23:00. If I had to do it manually I would do the above timings

Regards
paul.
what luminaire do you have then? i thought all luminaires had just the one plug but two switches on the unit? if i had two plugs i would be able to use a timer and problem solved!

Back