• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Two water questions (sort of...)

Karacticus

Hey all

I have a small barrel pond and water butt which in the summer are populated with mosquito larvae and other small inverts. Is this free live food and safe to scoop up and drop in my aquarium from time-to-time? Any risks?

Second question, is what do people do re. topping up during the summer months? In my head, I figured RO water would be useful for topping up as tap water would lead to a gradual increase in minerals. I water change 50% weekly, so would it make much difference? I can easily keep a container of RO under the tank.

I am guessing these have probably been answered before, but I couldn't find a relevant thread.

Thanks

Mark

Yes, free food. I guess you could potentially accidently transfer something else e.g. a damsonfly larve - just give what you've netting out a once over for any weird critters.

If you have RO then use it, but if you are changing 50% a week, then using tap your tank should stablise at a slightly higher value then the tap, but it would be insignificant unless you are losing massive amounts. If you weren't changing regularly or as much then topping up with RO would have more value.

Yes, free food. I guess you could potentially accidently transfer something else e.g. a damsonfly larve - just give what you've netting out a once over for any weird critters.

If you have RO then use it, but if you are changing 50% a week, then using tap your tank should stablise at a slightly higher value then the tap, but it would be insignificant unless you are losing massive amounts. If you weren't changing regularly or as much then topping up with RO would have more value.
Thanks @tam !

Back