• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Type of algae?

confusedman

As per the little, what sort of algae is this? How can I remove it from the wood?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20210516-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20210516-WA0003.jpeg
    831.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-20210516-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20210516-WA0006.jpeg
    997.1 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for your message Darrel @dw1305 .
Something strange has happened. Before I took the picture I noticed the wood had a sort of white mold.
I took it out, boiled it and scrubbed it thoroughly with a fingernail brush. When I put it back in the tank the white mold has turned into those bright green algae.
Shouldnt the boiling water have killed them? Why did the green show after scrubbing it?

Thanks for your message Darrel @dw1305 .
Something strange has happened. Before I took the picture I noticed the wood had a sort of white mold.
I took it out, boiled it and scrubbed it thoroughly with a fingernail brush. When I put it back in the tank the white mold has turned into those bright green algae.
Shouldnt the boiling water have killed them? Why did the green show after scrubbing it?
The white mould is not algae so different organism. Not harmful and goes away so no need to scrub or boil. Algae is probably too much light or too long duration. As above clean up crew will devour it all very quickly

The white mould is not algae so different organism. Not harmful and goes away so no need to scrub or boil. Algae is probably too much light or too long duration. As above clean up crew will devour it all very quickly

I have 4 amanos 1 adult cherry and 6 baby cherry shrimp. One ramshorn and a few bladder snails

Last edited:
How big is your tank? I was advised one amano per 5 litres, they will consume everything algae. The algae you have looks pretty interesting is it something that you can work with aesthetically or does it have to go. Definitely check your photo period, water changes, regular fertilising and good tank maintenance should reduce the algae.

Hi all,
Shouldnt the boiling water have killed them?
The boiling water will definitely have killed any algae that was present, so I'm really not sure.

cheers Darrel

Thw picture was taking after boiling and scrubbing the log. That's what surprises me

How big is your tank? I was advised one amano per 5 litres, they will consume everything algae. The algae you have looks pretty interesting is it something that you can work with aesthetically or does it have to go. Definitely check your photo period, water changes, regular fertilising and good tank maintenance should reduce the algae.
54 litres

54 litres
I would get another 8 amano shrimp, you could also remove the problem piece of wood, treat it with liquid CO2 or hydrogen peroxide, keep it wet but out of the tank and keep treating until it’s gone. Then boil it or oven bake it, re soak and return to the tank.

Hi all,
like 15 minutes
Definitely dead then. It hasn't lost its chlorophyll, which is why it is still green (a bit like when you cook Broccoli, it is still green). It should be palatable to most browsers even if it was <"originally Cladophora"> (a bit like dead BBA which will be eaten by shrimps, even though they don't eat it when it is alive).

You'll just have to wait and see what happens.

cheers Darrel

Back