• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UAKPS shop, a proposal.

Garuf

Hello, okay so forgive me if this doesn't make much sense, But!
Would it not a good idea to start a UKAPS store?
Here is my proposal,
the shop would only be accesable to ukaps patrons and would serve as a way for us to bring down the cost of this hobby, hardware, plants scaping materials could all be sourced at a low cost, these would all go into a central pot, the store, from here they can be sent out to who ever needs them at a few £ over cost, the money raised could go towards upkeep of UKAPS and funding anything else.
Also we as a whole would have a operation where everything from tanks to plants could be sourced keeping us all happy and keeping costs low.
It would build good relations between members and would serve as a good way bring in some extra money and to save money for us fellow planted tank fans.
The main considerations are sourcing, ordering sufficient numbers of things and in the case of plants, storage.
So there it is,
Feel free to rip it apart or help to contribute to getting it off the ground,
All the best.
Gareth.

Its a good idea Garuf but with only 230+ members I dont think it would work really.

At the moment If any of us have surplus plants then we can put them in the buy/sell/swap section for cheaper than a dying P@H Tropica specimen so thats about all we can do really with the members we currently have.

If we were to get to the stage where we had a large amount of members it could work but then we would have to access if we were stepping on the toes of those who were helpful to us in the first place, namely AE!!

I guess we could ask Richard if we could get discount (if we don't already)

Andy

Good idea Garuf but to figure out the logistics of it would be a bit of a strain as we are already stretched to the limit at the minute.
Group buys is a hard one too, people saying 'i'll go in with you" is one thing but prizing hard cash from their sweaty mitts is another IME.
The for sale area is good for the minute i think, certainly for selling plants and hardscape.
We are currently in talks with a few people regarding discount at certain places for UKaps members.
I like the way your thinking mate, keep it up. ;)

Maybe we should do something like we should pay a subscription to join UKAPS, but we get 10% off at certain shops?

I don't think 10% is too much off their profits, when it brings much more business their way...

PS. Maybe we should not recommend any shops/recommend more than one unless they do the discount? Just an idea?

Hi folks, thanks for your input and all this is well under control. Lisa, we are talking about the membership at the minute, We started UKaps to provide a service and so far i think we've achieved that goal and the next step is sponsorship etc but we are all wary about "charging" subscriptions etc, we'll let you all know in due corse.
Thanks again guys.
Dan

Ide like to back up Dan on this one and confirm all is in hand. We have to play things like this carefully, keep possible Ukaps supporting business happy. Its all a case of ballance.
I dont want to say any more than that really.

Thanks for giving it your thought Gareth. The word logistics kind of sums it all up. The founders are spread to the fore winds, so to expidite such a project is not only difficult but time consuming, and we all have other lives to live other than Ukaps.

Slowly slowly-catchy monky!

Graeme.

Back