• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Uk aquatic plant species set ups - whos tried it?

jasonjleach

Hi All, who has tried UK aquatic plants? I have set up a small tank wiht a few bits. Just added CO2. Seems ok but what clean up crew to use? Any examples? Thanks

Hi all,
who has tried UK aquatic plants
A few relatively common aquarium plants actually are british natives, or naturalised in the UK. If you go to the <"flowgrow database"> you can set the continent to Europe. <"Flowgrow">.

The one you see quite frequently is Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum), and I have it in most of my tanks (it doesn't like really soft water). This is some in @Parablennius tanks (at bottom of image).

dscf2076-jpg.jpg

Eleocharis acicularis & Lysimachia nummularia are also UK native. A lot of mosses are native species, Fontinalis antipyretica is <"an easy one to identify">, but you may also be able to get Calliergonella cuspidata, Drepanoclados aduncus etc. Others are Duckweed (Lemna minor) and Fairy Fern (Azolla caroliniana).

The problem tend to be that species like <"Callitriche stagnalis"> grow out of character in warm temperatures (with relatively low light) and aren't persistent in the aquarium.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back