• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

uk native plants in aquaria?

mr. luke

anyone ever tried out plants from there local river? there is a really nice looking stem plant that is incrediably profilic around here, and there are alsorts of pelia type plants going around that grow (al be it very small and slowly) and loads of grasses and marhginals.

Themuleous

Try here for a list of UK native species

http://www.britishflora.co.uk/plants.asp

These are mostly terrestrial plants but there are some aquatics in there too if you look.

Also, be careful what you pick out of your local water bodies, things like parrots feather and New Zealand pygmy weed are prolific to the extreme in many places around the UK!

Sam

EDIT - That said it would be well worth a try, would certainly be something different and you get some lovely UK species, many of which would probably also flower.

a1Matt

This sounds quite interesting. I would imagine that if you add light\CO2\ferts they could actually grow faster than in the wild. Only a guess though.

a1Matt

Themuleous said:
Try here for a list of UK native species

http://www.britishflora.co.uk/plants.asp

It looks as if they are geared up for large scale orders. (I guess Sam put that up as a resource for what plants are available, rather than as a specific supplier). It reminds me of the time I called up a company I found off of google and asked if they could sell me KN03....

They asked me how much I wanted.
Then there was a pause.
Then I meekly said about 500g, maybe a few Kg if there was any price breaks.
Then an even bigger pause (which I suspect was the woman stifling a laugh)
Sorry sir our minimum order is in tonnes :lol: :lol: :lol:

a1Matt

he he.. I could think of a couple of my local ponds that would benefit from a kilo of EI fertilisation :lol:

If you get a kind soul at BritishFlora they might give you a few plants for free!....

I remember calling up a company for a needle valve and the minimum order was a hundred, I said aww that is ashame but thanks anyway and they gave me one free. They put it down on the system as sample in case I wanted to order more. Very nice indeed :D shame the needle valve was no use for me :rolleyes:

mr. luke

i shal go on a photography mission and collect some of them for home use, see whats what :D tried one species in a tub outside, did well and dies from algae coating, never tried them in tropical temps.

Garuf

There's a british plant that I can't remember the name of for the life of me that's really pretty, arana used it in his scape.
He actually placed highest in all the uk entrants with it.

Garuf

Hottonia Paulensis that's the one!
Here's his thread. Easily one of the top 3 scapes on here and couldn't be a nicer person.

Garuf

There was a link but it's gone? :S
I'll find it and post. The plant is a very nice plant.