• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UK Purigen Users Only

DogTailRed2

Where do you get your bleach and what make, manufacturer?
Has anyone in the UK been able to get 8.25% Hyprchlorite Thin Househol Bleach?
Thank you.

Asda sell thin bleach which I've been using for a while now. Think I've used a morrisons one too. Thin bleach and no added perfumes.
Cleans up lily pipes and regenerates purigen no problem

Last edited:
Where do you get your bleach and what make, manufacturer?
Has anyone in the UK been able to get 8.25% Hyprchlorite Thin Househol Bleach?
Thank you.
I use regular Clorox (available in the UK) bleach - don't use the so-called splash-less bleach as it is thicker and less potent. Mix 1 part bleach with 2 parts tap water in a bucket and let it sit for 24 hours - I stir it up a couple of times, if I remember to do so. After that I rinse the Purigen and fill the bucket with regular tap and a capful of Prime and let that sit for another 24 hours and its ready for reuse. I usually re-use it 2-3 times... others 4-5 times.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I use regular Clorox (available in the UK) bleach - don't use the so-called splash-less bleach as it is thicker and less potent. Mix 1 part bleach with 2 parts tap water in a bucket and let it sit for 24 hours - I stir it up a couple of times, if I remember to do so. After that I rinse the Purigen and fill the bucket with regular tap and a capful of Prime and let that sit for another 24 hours and its ready for reuse. I usually re-use it 2-3 times... others 4-5 times.

Cheers,
Michael
"Clorox (available in the UK)" This is the problem. It isn't available in the UK.

Last edited:
yes thin bleach. my local super market stopped selling it, so i went to the corner shop and got some, worked just fine. just make sure its unscented and not the thick kind of bleach.

Don't use purigen myself and no idea how important a sodium hypochlorite content of 8.25% is but if you're adamant you want that percentage you could always buy some sodium hypochlorite 14% and dilute it. I'm assuming that would work? Hopefully somebody with a more chemical knowledge will chime in if I'm talking out of my posterior.

Personally I'd just use regular bleach like the others mention.

I'm looking forward finding a method better than mine.
I am using the Morrison thin bleach. Asda's one will be the next, but I don't expect better results.
I'm using it undiluted, in 2-3 sessions of 24 hours. When the purigen is starting to look good enough, I will rinse it same way as the others.
I use two bags, one in the filter and one in a plastic box full with water (don't let it dry).

Maybe Milton steriliser solution would do it if thin bleach as seems the case is unavailable

When I used to use Purigen I never found I got adequate whitening of the resin with standard thin supermarket bleach which is typically only 1% sodium hypochlorite.

I bought 14% sodium hypochlorite, as @John q suggested, from APC Pure, and it produced a much better result for me.

my household bleach is 5%. I find that by bleaching purigen before it turns too brown, you can more easily return it to the 'close to new' colour.

my household bleach is 5%. I find that by bleaching purigen before it turns too brown, you can more easily return it to the 'close to new' colour.

I think the 1% is a UK thing. The US has stronger household bleach also.

When I used to use Purigen I never found I got adequate whitening of the resin with standard thin supermarket bleach which is typically only 1% sodium hypochlorite.

I bought 14% sodium hypochlorite, as @John q suggested, from APC Pure, and it produced a much better result for me.
In this instance does whiter actually mean it has been restored better though?

I use Purigen and just use a 2/1 water/ bleach solution to restore like most.

I have a feeling it could just be down to perception or a little OCD. I'd say don't over think it.

In this instance does whiter actually mean it has been restored better though?

Yes, it’s a colour change resin. The further it is from white, the greater it’s current organic loading.

I use Purigen and just use a 2/1 water/ bleach solution to restore like most.

I have a feeling it could just be down to perception or a little OCD. I'd say don't over think it.

Well Seachem advised me directly that 1% bleach solution was insufficient when I queried it with them, so there is that? 😉

I’m sure if 1% solution was sufficient, they would alter their instructions to say 1 part 8% (US domestic standard) bleach and 7 parts water - why voluntarily opt for a stronger 4% solution if it’s not necessary to fully recharge the resin?

Hi,

Just been recharging a sachet of Purigen and saw this thread,

We buy Asda own brand Thick Bleach, just 39p a bottle, which states 4.5% hypochlorite.

As Purigen say use an 8% solution at 1:1 then surely just use Asda bleach virtually neat ?

However after doing that for 24 hours, twice, as @Wookii mentions the beads are still a very pale brown / creamy colour, nothing like the almost white colour when new.

So is it worth buying that quiet expensive 14% hypochlorite solution to get it virtually white ? or just reuse as is and expect a slight reducing in efficiency ?

Did read comment about the Freshwater section instructions and using an extra Buffer was really just a total belt and bracers thing and not normally needed .

000841.jpg

However after doing that for 24 hours, twice, as @Wookii mentions the beads are still a very pale brown / creamy colour, nothing like the almost white colour when new.
I've never managed to get the beads as white as when they are new. I've tried bleach only, 1:1 bleach water (as directed) and 1:2 bleach water - it hardly makes a difference in my case, that's why I am doing 1:2 bleach water. Occasionally stirring it up helps though.
Cheers,
Michael

Back