• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKAPS Aquascaping Experience - Hardscape Challenge Results

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Results of the live Hardscape Challenge at the UKAPS Aquascaping Experience at the weekend (5th March 2016).

Average score per judge from a total of 100 points.

Congratulations to everyone that took part in the competition and producing some high quality hardscapes in just 4 hours.

Photos taken by Stu Worrall

Rank #1 with an average score: 90
1.jpg

Rank #2 with an average score: 89
2.jpg

Rank #3 with an average score: 82
3.jpg

Rank #4 with an average score: 81
4.jpg

Rank #5 with an average score: 80
5.jpg

Rank #6 with an average score: 77
6.jpg

Rank #7 with an average score: 76
7.jpg

Rank #8 with an average score: 74
8.jpg

Rank #9 with an average score: 68
9.jpg

Rank #10 with an average score: 63
10.jpg

Once again very well done guys for the quality produced :)

Enjoy :)

All pretty wonderful layouts indeed. My congratulations to all contesters.

I just don´t like the #1 and #2 .. rocks amongst rocks. Very full of rocks.. Where do plants enter in this type of layout?
So i can´t quite understand this kind of jury´s avaluation. For me a tank has to be more than rocks. I look at those two and can´t figure out more than a simple rock landscape. But that´s me..

Best regards

Results of the live Hardscape Challenge at the UKAPS Aquascaping Experience at the weekend (5th March 2016).

Average score per judge from a total of 100 points.

Congratulations to everyone that took part in the competition and producing some high quality hardscapes in just 4 hours.

Photos taken by Stu Worrall

Thank you Paulo for uploading this.

And special thanks to Stu Worral for these fantastic photos! :woot: I love them. Again, very well done, guys!

Cheers,

Manuel

All pretty wonderful layouts indeed. My congratulations to all contesters.

I just don´t like the #1 and #2 .. rocks amongst rocks. Very full of rocks.. Where do plants enter in this type of layout?
So i can´t quite understand this kind of jury´s avaluation. For me a tank has to be more than rocks. I look at those two and can´t figure out more than a simple rock landscape. But that´s me..

Best regards
It was a hardscape challenge, the scapes were never intended to be planted paulo, judged on the best use of layout materials on the day, superb scapes from all IMO, top job guys :clap:

It was a hardscape challenge, the scapes were never intended to be planted paulo, judged on the best use of layout materials on the day, superb scapes from all IMO, top job guys

It´s best creat considering other factors than the stones it self. That´s what i meant.
You look to all layout´s except those two and you can imagine the rest. You can visualize a frame of nature. Theres a vision left behind from the scaper to us to acomplish ;)

And this is IMHO the best scapers. Take a good look to #1. What can you figure out more than what is in there?

It´s best creat considering other factors than the stones it self. That´s what i meant.
You look to all layout´s except those two and you can imagine the rest. You can visualize a frame of nature. Theres a vision left behind from the scaper to us to acomplish ;)

And this is IMHO the best scapers. Take a good look to #1. What can you figure out more than what is in there?
I have to say, number 1 was my favourite on the day, I would plant with mosses and small amounts of eleocharis and probably run it as a low light scape, but that's why I love this hobby, it's all subjective :)

The idea was never to get these planted in the first place, but also the judging was done from a 3D point of view standing in front of the tanks and not from a photo, which the perspective is totally different. :)

Well who am i, just a beginner when it comes to scaping, but still doesn't say i'm not seeing things.. No.1 is a perfect Moss, Bucephalandra and other plants able to grow lithophytic as they would and do in nature scape. Looking at it that way, it would even planted be able to be judged as a number 1 scape.. Actualy never seen a exclusively lithophytic setup scape till now. And i'm sure there are places enough on this planet where you find patches of nature with exclusively lithophytic growth.

No.2 doesn't need plants, it needs a very nice deep ocre background lighting a school of Astyanax mexicanus and a slightly dimmed honey dew colored light from above.
Then shot from the same angle like that it would be a jaw dropping Stalactite - Stalacmite cave scenery with the reflection from above. :woot: That's me.(i would hang it to a sump with plants to keep it running top)

All of them :clap::clap::clap: only number 4 makes go a bit o_O and makes me dizzy, but never mind that's just me too, Mr. not yet scaped zip to impress.. :shy::spam:

Last edited:
All really great scapes but I think the right scape won. The first one really is superb.

Hi Andy, It must of been hard for the judges No2 was a stunner too. Although No 1 was just an amazing scape.Great to watch these guys creating super scapes in 4 hours :cool:Looking forward to next year now. Hope you can make it next year mate :thumbup:

Hey everybody,
just wanted to say THANK YOU to all organizers, participants and visitors of the event.
It was a fantastic experience for me, I'm honored of being able to speak in front of you and making the 4th rank in the challenge.
Big extra THX to Roy who allowed me to stay at his place ;)
From my point of view both #1 and #2 totally deserved their rankings, it was a hardscape only contest and we were told the judging will not include any possible planting.
Looking forward for the next event.
Cheers

Hey everybody,
just wanted to say THANK YOU to all organizers, participants and visitors of the event.
It was a fantastic experience for me, I'm honored of being able to speak in front of you and making the 4th rank in the challenge.
Big extra THX to Roy who allowed me to stay at his place ;)
From my point of view both #1 and #2 totally deserved their rankings, it was a hardscape only contest and we were told the judging will not include any possible planting.
Looking forward for the next event.
Cheers

Hi Jurjis, You are welcome to stay anytime mate glad you enjoyed your stay :) Nice to have met you and be able to chat about Wabi-Kusa :D I am growing on the little W-K we made together at the event we will see how it go's ;)

Speak soon my friend :thumbup:

Thread Bump:

Do the Aquascapers all bring their own hardscape materials with them? Or do they get to select from a ton of stuff available to them on the day?

I suspect it is the former, as I would have thought the competitors will have practiced setting up their designs several times before the competition.

Of course I'm probably wrong, and they just go with their instincts on the day.

Back