• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UKAPS Local Events 2011.

Steve Smith

Please post any UKAPS gatherings you may be planning here, whether it be a BBQ or a scape-off, or a plant swap or LFS tour. Post your event and invite people along :)

Please follow this format:

Event:
Date:
Details:

Accommodation Details:

Travel details:

Discussion thread:

Let's make 2011 the year of UKAPS get togethers! It doesn't matter if it's 3 people or 30!

I'm happy to hold some Northern ones, I don't think there's many kids up this way though?

SteveUK said:
It doesn't matter if it's 3 people or 30!

Well said.

Having arranged a few meet ups over the last year my advice is... just do it :)

It can be as simple as picking a date and venue and announcing it here.

It can also be (but doesn't have to be) demoralising if you put a lof of effort into a meet and get a low turn out. So if you are unsure of getting many attendees then a tack I sometimes adopt is to arrange something via PM with 1, 2 or 3 people so that I know I have someone coming and something concrete. Then open it up to the rest of the forum once that is set.

Another tip is that LFS meets attract more people than house meets (unless you are hosting a BBQ or something a little different).

We ensure that we have one LFKC (London Fish keeping club, http://www.lfkc.co.uk) meet up every month, and I see them as fundamental to what we are trying to achieve with the club. These meets are open to UKAPS members too.

Good advice Matt :)

a1Matt said:
We ensure that we have one LFKC (London Fish keeping club, http://www.lfkc.co.uk) meet up every month, and I see them as fundamental to what we are trying to achieve with the club. These meets are open to UKAPS members too.

I've enjoyed the several that I've been to immensely :) Visiting other people's LFS's is voyage of discovery! Non of my local places have much (except one place that has interesting fish usually) so I have to travel if I want anything decent.

Also, it should be said that your event could be walking in the local countryside exploring your local rivers and streams with cameras. Getting out there with a group of people and seeking inspiration :)

Like I say, we should try to make 2011 the year of the mini-meet!

could the site host a map showing where folks live? For example, i only know of Garuf and i in Yorkshire, but there may be others out there! It would make it a lot easier to see the potential catchment area of any event and whether it's likely to be worthwhile organising anything

Good point. I've just thrown together this google map. Not sure if it'll work for everyone though, but follow this link and add your self to the map with a note of your username here. DON'T pinpoint your exact location, just the general vicinity of where you live.

With the number of members we have on here it is a safe bet to say there are members from every location in the UK here ;)

Registered! ;)

Steve create a new thread on the Introductions section with a link to the map and a brief explanation how to register your location ;)

(only drawback is that people need a google account)

Back