• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Un-wanted tank inhabitant?

Neophyte

Hmm, 2 weeks into setting up a new tank, plants are growing nice & it all looks stable. No fish yet, want to give the plants a head start ;)

Bought a few plants from Maidenhead Aqatics in Nottingham about 10 days ago.

Since then, a few snails have appeared - no big surprise there.

Today I looked in the top of the tank - a 100cm Juwel with original hood - &, there was what looked like a fly swimming in the water. My first thought was, Water Boatman? But it doesn't look like any I can find on a Google search. It's about 1cm long, "swims" on the surface, it has a red end to it's tail - when it "swims" its main body curves up in quite a menacing manor :twisted: & appears to have very slim wings. I tried to catch, but it's disopeared. Ideas? Should I be concerned?

rawr

I'm no good ad identifying these things but I'm sure someone will be able to help out there. If you see it again try to get a photo. ;)

I would also advise you to get it out if you do happen to see it again. Like I said, I'm no expert but from reading a few threads here and there some of these things can grow into insects that eat small fish.

Neophyte

Yeah, I read that water boatman eat (or should I say suck the insides out of) tadpoles :wideyed:

Certainly don't want anything like that in the tank lol