Underwater Liverwort in Well

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by TBRO, 27 Apr 2019.

1. TBRO

TBRO Member

Hi All,

Was poking around my Dad’s place and came across the old water well, deep in the undergrowth.

I noticed a liverwort growing below the surface. Could it be Riccardia chamedryfolia?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zozo and Sarpijk like this.
  2. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    It looks too broad to be Riccardia, looking at the other flora it looks like it is probably limy water, so <"Pellia endiviifolia"> possibly.

cheers Darrel

zozo, PARAGUAY, Sarpijk and 1 other person like this.
  3. TBRO

TBRO Member

Excellent information as always, the tap water round here is very soft but I’ve tested this well and the GH/KH was surprisingly high.

[​IMG]

I found this growing on the brickwork of a canal lock in Staffordshire. Sounds likely to be the pellia you describe. Is it an aquatic species or just likes wet spots near water?

zozo likes this.
  4. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    The Hart's-tongue fern (Asplenium scolopedrium) and Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) are plants you would associate with base rich conditions, so I guessed the water had some bases in it.
    I associate it with the tops of stones in limestone streams, but I don't think it needs to be continually wet. It is the only liverwort (that looks like this) that you find in very base rich water. <"Pellia epiphylla"> can look almost identical, and is also really common, but it grows in less base rich conditions.

AquaMoos sell <"P. epiphylla">.
    I'm pretty sure that one is <"Conocephalum conicum">, it looks quite big and chunky, and you can see the very obvious pale dots (air pores), it is a common Liverwort in any damp, bare places.

cheers Darrel

zozo, Edvet, TBRO and 1 other person like this.
  5. TBRO

TBRO Member

Cool, thanks Darrel. I might try some in one of my emersed set ups

Simon Cole and PARAGUAY like this.