• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unhealthy Fish....

Vito

Hey peeps, I need some advice I have 8 Red eye tetras in my tanks and I've only just noticed a day or so ago that one seems to be missing the better half of its top lip, with white flesh-skin revealing, hope that makes sense. is this a symptom of some form of disease. if so what sort of medication should I dose and Is it safe with shrimps?

Help!

Vito

I lost a denison barb to this. I belive it may have been caught while attacking an algae wafer...... they all go in like vulture

It could be a symptom os columnaris...

This site says the following:

This is caused by a bacterium, Flexibacter Columnaris. The symptoms of this disease are typically erosion of the mouth, commonly associated with a fungal like growth, which is in fact colonies of the column-like bacteria. Like finrot, mouthrot is associated with poor water conditions which must be corrected.

Have you checked your water stats? Could be your filter has uncycled for some reason?

Hope it's not mouth rot, it's pretty much fatal I believe :(

SteveUK said:
It could be a symptom os columnaris...

This site says the following:

This is caused by a bacterium, Flexibacter Columnaris. The symptoms of this disease are typically erosion of the mouth, commonly associated with a fungal like growth, which is in fact colonies of the column-like bacteria. Like finrot, mouthrot is associated with poor water conditions which must be corrected.

Have you checked your water stats? Could be your filter has uncycled for some reason?

Hope it's not mouth rot, it's pretty much fatal I believe :(

Hmm the filter has been running for 4 months now, I would have thought its mature now... I've never used test kits so I wouldn't know the parameters, maybe I should invest....

I don't tend to test either, though I've got a few test kits kicking about.

Is it just the one fish affected? Might just be as Behold says but you never know.

May be worth looking at a broad medication just in case. Esha 2000 is a good general one I believe. Be careful with an snails/shrimp though. I dosed Esha on a tank recently, and whilst the shrimp seemed to be OK, I've lost an apple snail and at least one nerite before I moved them to another tank :(

SteveUK said:
I don't tend to test either, though I've got a few test kits kicking about.

Is it just the one fish affected? Might just be as Behold says but you never know.

May be worth looking at a broad medication just in case. Esha 2000 is a good general one I believe. Be careful with an snails/shrimp though. I dosed Esha on a tank recently, and whilst the shrimp seemed to be OK, I've lost an apple snail and at least one nerite before I moved them to another tank :(

Yea Just the one, I got them not long ago so I don't know if it was already like that... I'll probably buy this Esha 2000 stuff just as a precaution. Whos sells it?

Vito

I've never kept red eyes, but my congo tetras have white lips quite often from blasting aorund the tank and banging their lips. Occasionally they have even lost chunks out of them. They always recovered pretty quickly so it could be that. Personally I'd add some Melafix and keep a close eye on it before adding anything too harsh.

Hi, Best prices I've found for esha stuff are on ebay, couple of shops depending on product & postage,last-trading-post & peteramos1 are good reliable sellers with usually good delivery times, API melafix & pimafix are also good medications to look at, I've used these with success as well as esha
Regards
Will

I've had similar damage to Congo tetras - they seem to spook easily and bang into the glass or jump out into the lights. I have one which has had a deformed/damaged mouth since I bought it. Feeds OK and has grown well. I think that if you can get rid of or avoid any infection, fish seem to be able to feed even with quite bad damage.

Many years ago I had a job which involved sampling native fish in canals as part of a research project - we were amazed by how many fish had damaged mouths and still seemed to have grown to a good size and prospered.

Back