• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Universites, Leed's met vs. Lincoln.

Garuf

Hello, so after going through Ucas hell for the last few months I've managed to get 2 places at uni studying architecture, the thing is I know nothing about either university as I haven't visited either, does anyone on here know anything about either and/or the cities in which they're located?
I'd be moving to the area and would like to know what to expect, night life, life style and of course if there are any good fish shops near.
The big move would be on the 10th of September so I'll have to be pretty quick.
Any help or opinions gratefully received.

i live 18 miles from Lincoln. beautiful city mate. i played at the uni too.( about 4 years ago in my old band) but i cant really comment on the uni itself.
night life is ok. i would say Lincoln is a tamer place than Leeds.

LFS? the usual MA whisby, kinda average to be honest. you could always travel with me to decent ones! TGM and the likes. :D we could go on your skate board.

given the choice id go to Lincoln, but then i don't know Leeds all that well. so im biased

mark

I love Leeds! I used to think it was the only other place I'd live - great night life! :lol: It does have that 'big city' feel though, so it depends what you're after... I'd agree with Mark; Lincoln is tamer, but still lovely.

I've been to Leeds Met Uni a few times to train for my refereeing.

I must say that the sports facilities are second to one.

I'm not sure about the university myself as I went to Hull (fab place!) but then for the amount of totty that is on show in and around the university. You should get yourself there fella.

For night life, leeds is fantastic. You're already in Headingley at Leeds Met. There's loads of fantastic places there to have a good night, then there's Headingley the cricket/rugby ground. So, Yorkshire Cricket, England Internationals For Cricket. For Rugby there's Leeds Tykes (Union - BOO) or the Leeds Rhinos (We hate Rhinos, we hate Rhinos!). Plus, you could always go and laugh at the Leeds United fans at Elland Road - always a good pastime.

Plus, train connections to Leeds are fantastic, can bascially go anywhere in the UK from Leeds.

Lincoln is a nice place, been a few times. But Leeds would be my choice. Unless there was a different level of teaching for your course.

Beware though that a lot of the people of Lincoln are not overly happy with the university. We have nothing against students but our council goes out of its way to help the Uni and it has taken up a lot of land that a lot of us used to work (before the companies that were on the land sold up and made us redundant)

We also complain about it's positioning and design as it's modern design ruins the brayford and block out the cathedral and hill climbing up to it.

There is quite a lot of hostility in the west end also where the property investors have bought up loads of property in one area and its a virtual stand off between residents and students!!!

I have to admit I am one of the aforementioned people who was made redundant when my company sold up and moved out of Lincoln and I also don't think the design of the building fits in but I don't particularly care about the students because where I live I don't have to put up with selfish all hours noise and parties. lol

Of course I don't mean violent standoffs but the local newspapers always have a lot of letters going back and forth on the argument.

AC

Don't know anything about either Uni, but hubby's family are mainly Leeds based and I really like the city. I like it so much that if there weren't so many of my crazy in-laws living there, we'd probably be living there instead of in Birmingham. The town has much more character (IMO) than Birmingham and really has a buzz about it.

Portsmouth made me an offer... then retracted it 2 days before I was due to travel down to visit them. Annoying.

Back