• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Unlikely new member

William Wescott

What's so unlikely? Well, I'm 76 years old and started aquascaping about a year and a half ago with a Dennerle 55 liter tank. It might be unlikely to make such a late start. Next, I'm a US citizen living in Moscow--a love match uprooted me permanently a long time ago. It might be unlikely to have a displaced Yank as a member. I've been lurking here and elsewhere for some time, and I've finally decided to join properly. Unlikely perhaps that I waited so long, but I wanted to choose just one forum to work with, and UKAPS seems to have abundant knowledge coupled with a supportive and collegial tone. Now that I've just taken delivery on a 90 x 45 x 45 and am thinking what to do with it, I couldn't hold out any longer. Glad to meet you all!

Welcome William would be great to hear how aquascaping in Russia is as an experience. Do many people do it there? Are there any good shops? Would be nice to see your tank too.

Got to admit that this is the most intriguing intro I have read for a while! Sounds like a fascinating life you have led 😃 welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
In response to your request, Kevin Eades, aquascaping in Russia is quite developed in Moscow and St Petersburg, although I gather there are very active hobbyists outside those upscale cities. There is at least one quite good bricks and mortar store in Moscow that specializes in aquatic plants and associated equipment and supplies. I wish it had higher end items, but it's great to have access to what they do sell. Other pet stores also cover the fresh water aquascaping hobby pretty thoroughly without the exclusive focus on it. However, I get the impression that salt-water has got more followers and choices available.

The bulk of retail is through websites that deliver, but there is a sort of market that I have yet to visit where several outlets operate under one roof. All the major brands are available, although availability for any particular thing is seldom guaranteed. If you find what you want, you'd better grab it. It's also wise to get critical replacement parts for things well before you need them, or else have functional duplicate equipment. (I find that aquascaping in the urgency of its demands falls somewhere between hydroponic agriculture and an ICU.) My new tank and cabinet were made to order by a local craftsman (he deserves that title). So, lots of options, but often you need to react quickly or be ready to make substitutions. The only thing I was forced to order from outside Russia was a CO2 regulator. Only CO2Art had them for Sodastream canisters. You can get CO2 in large tanks (2 liter and 5 liter), but refill is limited to a handful of industrial places that are hard to get to and have a reputation for being difficult to deal with.

The online community is certainly there with forums, bloggers, YouTubers and everything you would expect going on all the time. What seems to be the biggest challenge is finding rocks for hardscape. They are around, but the selection seems to be depleted quickly so that it's hard to find a set of nice, large stones that match. In the end I may take the easy way out and work with wood.

It may be of interest that what propelled me into the hobby was a visit to a local botanical garden, which was started during Peter the Great's reign to grow apothecary plants. These days it is a well-arranged garden with beds of flowers that change with the seasons, greenhouses, and a tropical conservatory. By chance, on a visit I came across a display of aquascapes there. I was floored and immediately wanted to do something of the kind myself. Since then, slowly and falteringly, I've been at it.

Back