• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UP atomiser vs. Boyu inline?

nry

Has anyone tried these two and has an opinion on which is 'better'?

I have tried both and found them both equally as efficient, the boyu doesn't give you the smokey must effect close up, just tiny bubbles. I actually preferred this one.
I also gave one to eazerthegeezer whilst he used one of each and I think he liked it too. It's much much cheaper too the boyu but does give a little faint hiss when it's on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H there,
Just to add to the above although I haven't used the up inline I do run a boyu.
If found it to be very good, but the hiss is quite loud so if it's not running in a cabinet it will be annoying. Mine is in an undertank cabinet and I can't hear it with the doors closed.
Also I only run at 1.5 bar pressure and it works fine, I've heard the up ones need upwards of 2 bar running pressure so this could also be something to take into consideration depending on your working pressures.
Cheerio
Ady

I've got a Boyu at present, but I don't find the bubbles overly small - managed to find an UP one via eBay for £16 delivered (12/16mm) which is on the way now so I'll soon know if I have a preference! I have to admit to never cleaning the Boyu one as the piping is zip-tied to the ends. The UP one has a better fitment so it my stand more chance of being maintained correctly :)

It's funny because I ran my boyu on the filter outlet last time round and the bubbles were tiny coming into the tank. This time round I've opted for the filter inlet and I get even better misting but when I switched the filter off the other day I noticed that the bubbles coming back into the tank were huge
(drilled base so bubbles rose directly back up into the tank), this suggests that the water flow itself inside the pipes breaks down the larger bubbles into mist.....unless of course mine has clogged too. Either way on the filter inlet I'm getting good misting :thumbup:
Cheerio
Ady

Ady34 said:
It's funny because I ran my boyu on the filter outlet last time round and the bubbles were tiny coming into the tank. This time round I've opted for the filter inlet and I get even better misting but when I switched the filter off the other day I noticed that the bubbles coming back into the tank were huge
(drilled base so bubbles rose directly back up into the tank), this suggests that the water flow itself inside the pipes breaks down the larger bubbles into mist.....unless of course mine has clogged too. Either way on the filter inlet I'm getting good misting :thumbup:
Cheerio
Ady

Ady, not wishing to take this off track but, did you notice any difference in CO2 usage, or bubble rate, when swapping to the inlet from the outlet? I'm just about to swap from outlet to inlet.

davem said:
Ady34 said:
Cheerio
Ady

Ady, not wishing to take this off track but, did you notice any difference in CO2 usage, or bubble rate, when swapping to the inlet from the outlet? I'm just about to swap from outlet to inlet.
Hi mate, not as yet as I just tested it the other day, it's not actually running yet but it'll be something to monitor. Unfortunately it won't be easy to compare as I'm going to be running more surface agitation and no cover glass this time round so gas off will be greater anyway.
Cheerio
Ady

Thanks for the reply :thumbup:

I will do a search on here to see what I can find. I'd imagine a few have tried both on the same set up.

The benefit of running pre filter is longer contact time so in theory gas exchange should be more efficient thus you should use less....but as we all know should and do are two very different things in the planted tank world :crazy:

Back